Page 136 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Yeah, just make sure you're religious about doing backups. Also played with lightdm, it works fine but I missed the functionality of gdm.
    Cheers - similar and on dual monitor the last time I tried Lightdm .... it plonked itself in the middle of the two monitors .... not tried it since though so might be fixed now.

What do you use for backing up and how do you get back to where you were before it.

I tend to just keep moving forward .... but there are times when I really would like to step it back ...... but do not know how to do it successfully yet.
    are you using Back in time ?

With me having Dvd's of my 8 Gig systems they are ok using Remastersys ...... but my 350 Gig system the data is safe on a USB and duplicated ......
    (but the system programs once they are upgraded - I have never found an easy way to just downgrade back to just before the upgrade .......)

So I test most upgrades by first trying them on the small systems I have to see what may happen ..... if it kills it on the small 20 gig partitions - I just lose a small install and then clean a partition and re-install from a good remastersys backup .....

( but cannot do this once we get above around 12 Gig ..... some of my older ones are 35 Gig plus )

This looks as if it may do what I need - apt-clone but I have not tried it out yet ,,, ( another option LINK ,, )

The problem it seems is keeping the correct version .... although it records all the applications/programs .....

I need to just restore back the previous ... so how can this be achieved to cause the least problems ....
    almost need like a ghost of the main directories associated with the upgrade ....

Looked at FOG too but this is a image of the system for restoring onto other computers ...
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 9th, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Keith; I use Clonezilla, I just back up the partition.

I've got it configured to boot from an iso on another partition so it loads like it's on USB or disk. I can access it from the grub menu. I also mount/bind my Music, Downloads, Pictures & a Maintenance partition so all I'm really backing up is less than 5Gb.

Beans

Ok thanks .... not sure mount/bind will work for me as I am constantly swapping USB drives around to go to other systems ..... but will look at how clonezilla works. ty
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 10th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Ok thanks .... not sure mount/bind will work for me as I am constantly swapping USB drives around to go to other systems ..... but will look at how clonezilla works. ty
    If you decide to give it a try with the USB make sure you use UUID= instead of dev/sdxx and possibly auto in the fstab.

This doesn't use auto, & not sure if it's perfect but it works.

Code:
    UUID=528d7ac7-4fc9-432a-9244-ae3433e498ae  /mnt/bind/Pictures    ext4  rw,noatime,nodiratime   0  2
    /mnt/bind/Pictures                         /home/chuck/Pictures  none  defaults,bind           0  0
    Clonezilla works great.

Beans

by updating the metadata.json on my extensions, they are all working again, except the pidgin notification plugin by kagesensei. In tweak it's showing "error loading extension"

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by munkymac View Post
    by updating the metadata.json on my extensions, they are all working again, except the pidgin notification plugin by kagesensei. In tweak it's showing "error loading extension"

Any ideas?
    I'm assuming you updated to gnome shell 3.1.3? I don't use that one so I really don't know. Can you do a screen capture of looking glass with the error tab clicked? It's probably like the right hot corner extension and it's making a call to something that no longer exists, or was renamed. I'm hoping that a solution can be found for the rhc extension and the solution might apply to yours as well.

Beans

Okay, here's the screenshot. Obviously I'm in this mess because i left the ricotz/testing ppa enabled. Now I'm greeted with a Partial Upgrade notice every time Update Manager pops up. Should I wait until the Partial Upgrade problem works itself out before disabling ricotz?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi first of all thanks for nice this effort. Been trying to get the GNOME 3 working on my system for long time but no luck at all!
    Installed gNatty Gnome Live ISO v3.1 on my Toshiba Satllite-A200, Intel Centrino-Duo, 2GB Ram, nVIDIA Go7300 graphics( where the main problem is). Burnt the iso on a usb stick, Couldn't get GNOME 3 session on Live mode. So installed it on another usb stick(16GB), logged into gnome classic(as GNOME 3 wouldn't work on installed system either), installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07 rebooted system, tried to logged into GNOME 3, Got the desktop with all the extensions, can move the cursor using touchpad BUT CANNOT CLICK ON ANYTHING!! No respons from the desktop from anywhere. I can get to the another terminal using ctrl+alt+F2 that mean keyboard and mouse( as I can move the cursor) are functional.
    Has anyone had the same issue?
    Any help with that please??
    My Xorg and nvidia is running ok, I can run Gnome classic with no problem.
    Right now running system update, hoping it would fix something
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by munkymac View Post
    Okay, here's the screenshot. Obviously I'm in this mess because i left the ricotz/testing ppa enabled. Now I'm greeted with a Partial Upgrade notice every time Update Manager pops up. Should I wait until the Partial Upgrade problem works itself out before disabling ricotz?
    You've probably already done this a dozen times but double check the edit you did to metadata.json, lg is indicating that it's a version problem so it's not even trying to load.

These extensions are new to me too so there is a lot to learn about them.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ironcrush View Post
    Hi first of all thanks for nice this effort. Been trying to get the GNOME 3 working on my system for long time but no luck at all!
    Installed gNatty Gnome Live ISO v3.1 on my Toshiba Satllite-A200, Intel Centrino-Duo, 2GB Ram, nVIDIA Go7300 graphics( where the main problem is). Burnt the iso on a usb stick, Couldn't get GNOME 3 session on Live mode. So installed it on another usb stick(16GB), logged into gnome classic(as GNOME 3 wouldn't work on installed system either), installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07 rebooted system, tried to logged into GNOME 3, Got the desktop with all the extensions, can move the cursor using touchpad BUT CANNOT CLICK ON ANYTHING!! No respons from the desktop from anywhere. I can get to the another terminal using ctrl+alt+F2 that mean keyboard and mouse( as I can move the cursor) are functional.
    Has anyone had the same issue?
    Any help with that please??
    My Xorg and nvidia is running ok, I can run Gnome classic with no problem.
    Right now running system update, hoping it would fix something
    Cheers
    First off I'd check to see that nVidia driver 173 is uninstalled, you should be able to do that from additional drivers. Personally I've had problems with the 275.09.06 & .07 drivers so I downgraded to 270.41.06 which doesn't cause any problems for me.

Now something I have no experience with are the intel/nVidia video chipsets. I'm wondering if you need to blacklist a driver? Something I also know nothing about, but I'm sure somebody is familiar with the process. I'd start by making sure 173 is uninstalled, then if there are still problems downgrade to 270.41.06.

Don't sweat the partial upgrade thing, but you might want to make sure that in synaptic, under updates, you have proposed activated.

Page 136 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast