Page 9 of 177 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    just came out of the shadow (bed couldn't sleep)to seed some more, looks like its catching on slow but sure.
    I had a hard time finding the thread on this, the forum has changed since Oneiric came in.
    I was so glad to see gNatty to replace a g3Fedora that was a total waste, Thanks, Cecil
    Glad to have you Cecil. Apparently whatever problems you initially had with gNatty were easily overcome?

I don't know what to suggest as far as finding this thread, I tried to make it as easy to find as possible by including it in the torrent comments and the description on linuxtracker.

Thanks for having the patience to download it & I really appreciate you seeding it. If it works I hope people continue to seed, if it's junk I expect it to die a slow death on the internet.

Beans
    Distro

I'm using transmission and it don't have a lot of info but constantly 3 to 4 dl all the time, I have not had a lot of time to try it but it beats the heck out of suse & fedora!
    From what I've seen though, got a lot of questions, haha
    I like foolin with stuff that I don't know about!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    I'm using transmission and it don't have a lot of info but constantly 3 to 4 dl all the time, I have not had a lot of time to try it but it beats the heck out of suse & fedora! From what I've seen though, got a lot of questions, haha
    Don't know if we have all the answers but fire away.

I like foolin with stuff that I don't know about!
    Me too.

I guess we're both in the right place.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Housekeeping

Been familiarizing myself a little better with the forum features. Tweaked my signature, added an avatar & most importantly tried to tidy up post #1 of this thread.

You might want to review it occasionally for any updates, or to suggest things that belong there.

My goal is to make that initial post as informative as possible with the new arrivals in mind.

Just had a thought regarding the avatar, if any of you artsy types comes up with a gNatty avatar I'd like a copy. Maybe something like what I'm using but incorporating some Ubuntu purple might be nice, the orange as an accent?

I dunno, just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 11th, 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: More stuff

Beans
    Distro

Question Avatarial Musings ;-)

I don't have the skills but follow along with me on this idea:

The same glossy background but in the ubuntu purple, not sure what color the foot should be. I like it black but that might get lost in purple. Ahh, what if the black foot was outlined in orange?

Add gNatty, or replace GNOME, with gNatty in matching font & in a complementary color?

Who knows, maybe we'll end up merging this with UGR, or they could adopt the artwork.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 11th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've been lurking in the shadows seeded both the 64 and 32 for the last 24 hours and despite my appalling upload speed, still managed to supply half a gig of data.

(the gNatty logo needs a cartoony gnat really... http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=...images&as_st=y
    ...but better)

Anyway, unfortuantely I have to report that both my ATI laptops (a 32 and 64) won't play nicely. I haven't completely run out of ideas yet so I'll save asking for help for the moment, although I'm pretty sure my 6yo lappy just won't get there. My nice posh 64bit Dell really should be able to squeeze some sort of usable system out tho' so I'll persevere with that. Any general recommendations appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
    I did the dpkg thing and the theme packs and then rebooted. Comes up in a stripy blue gnome login screen but with no login entry area and is completely frozen. Managed to do a ctrl alt f2 or something and am now at a shell prompt.
    Ok, not sure where you're at with this right now but it sounds like the live session logon bug bit you since it's an unorthodox installation(?) You could try the sudo dpkg-reconfigure again to switch back to lxdm if that worked best for you.

Playing with time zones and work schedules can get a little confusing but I'll try to keep up with you guys.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    First things first, congratulations to cbowman57 excellent work. I chose to go with the fglrx driver and things lag a lot. I can't do something about it right now, as i'm loading the iso up to my 4shared account as promised. Once its done, i'm gonna try to purge the fglrx and install the ati driver. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently i have to move the mousse everytime i write something. Oh i forgot. I.ve already installed, along with my 10.10 install.
    Just tried that 4shared account, probably the fastest way to grab a copy at the moment. For someone with a fast connection it would probably download in well under 30 minutes.

Thanks again for putting it up there for everybody.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
    I ended up starting over. So now I am in my HD live USB session
    It's all educational. I guess it stands to reason that when you run a live USB/CD it actually installs itself to RAM. So I am simply copying the RAM installation. It all seems normal enough and I can do updates and so on.

I am not sure the correct way to get rid of the "live session user".

I am not sure which step broke my login last time.

Your theory of a bug may be right. The funny thing is that the installer did not recognize my 4 disk array as an array, just as 4 disks. And it invited me to install to one of them. Furthermore, it claimed there were no existing OSes on any of my disks, even though I had Ubuntu on the array and Windows on this HD. So something up the spout there.
    I believe that you have to use the Ubuntu alternate iso to install to a RAID array. Been quite some time since I messed with RAID but that's the way it had to be done. I think the Linux Mint live installer had RAID support built in but it's been so long that I'm not positive about that. For the fun of it I am considering adding gnome shell to the latest Linux Mint 11 rc iso that I just finally downloaded. Without Unity on it they might have whipped the gdm problem, we'll see what happens. Might take me a couple days before I try to tackle that one.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by waspbloke View Post
    I've been lurking in the shadows seeded both the 64 and 32 for the last 24 hours and despite my appalling upload speed, still managed to supply half a gig of data.
    I appreciate that, thanks mate!

(the gNatty logo needs a cartoony gnat really... http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=...images&as_st=y
    ...but better)
    Originally had something like that in mind as well, but it has to exude some strength and personality. Wouldn't want a wimpy looking logo.

Anyway, unfortuantely I have to report that both my ATI laptops (a 32 and 64) won't play nicely. I haven't completely run out of ideas yet so I'll save asking for help for the moment, although I'm pretty sure my 6yo lappy just won't get there. My nice posh 64bit Dell really should be able to squeeze some sort of usable system out tho' so I'll persevere with that. Any general recommendations appreciated.
    Ok, the Natty Gnome & gNatty are quite a bit different. Can I assume that you tried Natty on the 64-bit machine & gNatty on the 32-bit? If so we need to approach each set of problems individually. The 64-bit IMO is actually the stronger distribution but it has a serious problem with the gdm that prevents login of any kind, but 23dornot23d did find a solution to overcome it.

.. well instead of rambling on I'll wait for your response then we can work on finding a kludge to get around them.

Page 9 of 177 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast