Page 60 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks allot for this! However i'm not able to use this?

I tried to install this from my laptop, but whenever i wan't to install or try ubuntu i get error messages stating that GNOME3 failed to load (prop. due driver issues) and a system problem has been detected?

Got ATI Radeon graphic card. Any way i can circumvent this?
    You should ignore that message, choose "other" from the drop down list on login, input your credentials, then the message, "xsession unsupported number of arguments..." and you're in fallback mode since gnome3 - shell couldn't started at the moment. From there, you could try to enable the open source (ati) driver which would work best with gnome 3, but since you're on a live system i can't guarantee that your actions would have an effect.
    All these messages, could be ignored and by-passed after installation. I know, i have tried my self.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    I'm indeed trying out the 32 bit version.

The first error message i get is that it can't find startx or something. Also the GDM is broken and i can't select anything. I just logins into the classic ubuntu desktop. That's when i get the error messages in my previous post.
    Ok, that's normal, it will default to gnome shell but if your vidcard doesn't have the correct drivers, or support the fglrx drivers that were installed on that iso it will default to fallback mode. Unfortunately the live session just isn't going to work for you, but after installation you can probably get it running, and there are people here that have been having luck with ATI cards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    You should ignore that message, choose "other" from the drop down list on login, input your credentials, then the message, "xsession unsupported number of arguments..." and you're in fallback mode since gnome3 - shell couldn't started at the moment. From there, you could try to enable the open source (ati) driver which would work best with gnome 3, but since you're on a live system i can't guarantee that your actions would have an effect.
    All these messages, could be ignored and by-passed after installation. I know, i have tried my self.
    I can't choose anything in the drop-down list or login, i only see the login screen for a split second. I automatically get the desktop environment.

THanks for your help anyways

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mainstream View Post
    I can't choose anything in the drop-down list or login, i only see the login screen for a split second. I automatically get the desktop environment.

THanks for your help anyways
    If you're getting a desktop environment that's all you need to do an installation. If you already have a working 11.04 installation then getting this to run gnome shell shouldn't be a problem. There are just special problems associated with ATI cards and their drivers, depending on the card you may or may not have luck with the fglrx drivers. You may have to use open source or the Radeon driver.

But yeah, for the 32-bit there is no user or pw information needed. Don't give up yet.

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    I just search one out using synaptic, I'll attach a screenshot showing the 3 important packages. Ubuntu tweak has a safeguard, it will only delete a kernel that you are not using. If using ubuntu tweak, delete the kernel, then use the clean config button.

BTW, the kernel in synaptic that I'm using has a bug so I'm going to revert to a previous version, but it does work so if you have to use it temporarily that will be fine.
    Somewhat funny story....was doing this while waiting for a plane at the airport. And....between deleting kernels and reloading kernels, my connection dropped. Loosing kernel....update-grub ran automagically...and now, option to select my G3 test partition is gone!! haha...well....probably time to reload and start from scratch anyway. From a USB, reloading only takes 5 min or so.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Somewhat funny story....was doing this while waiting for a plane at the airport. And....between deleting kernels and reloading kernels, my connection dropped. Loosing kernel....update-grub ran automagically...and now, option to select my G3 test partition is gone!! haha...well....probably time to reload and start from scratch anyway. From a USB, reloading only takes 5 min or so.
    Oh man, figure the odds. Oh well, you've got the formula down now, shouldn't take long.

Beans

I followed the commands provided, but how do i install? lol. Am i missing something?
    I can't switch session, can't do anything really...

I maybe found it... It won't display desktop icons and nautilus was not working.
    So i browsed with the terminal to start the installer hope it works
    Last edited by mainstream; May 18th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I followed the commands provided, but how do i install? lol. Am i missing something?

I maybe found it... It won't display desktop icons and nautilus was not working.
    Yes, don't worry about switching to gdm default in the live session. That's for after installation. If you can install Natty this should install without any problem. What video card do you use?
    Last edited by cbowman57; May 18th, 2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Removed image

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Doing all of that while at the airport... Wow! Hats off for you! =D>

Beans
    Distro

Man you didn't have to switch to command line either to start the installation. system - administration - install release and you're done.

Page 60 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast