Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Alright, thanks guys.

It's not much of an issue here either..
    as I also usually just put my machines into Suspend mode rather than shutting them down all the time.
    But when I do have to log in, I always think.. "man that is fugly, wonder if I can change it" lol
    Guess not.
    No worries.

Re: "Partial Upgrade"..
    I made the mistake of doing that once..
    and destroyed a whole install.
    Not going to do that again.
    Although I have seen the "partial upgrade available" when I run update manager in gNatty.

I click out of that as fast as I can when I see it now.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I always disable update manager. I prefer aptitude or synaptic when I need to add, remove or update.

Beans

Same here - I prefer aptitude or synaptic when I need to add, remove or update.

I have seen so many reports on partial upgrades failing - that I cannot come to understand why its an option
    at all ..... someone must have had a success with it at some time ?

It should have a link after a Partial Upgrade - to the Forum to report your problems on launchpad .....

Synaptic and Aptitude for me as you can get some information back from the system as to what is happening.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Is there anyone who have experience with a 'rolling' distro?

I'm curious if it's possible to run one with the gnome-shell.

If anyone has a good advice on this matter or can point to a distro which could be used,I would apreciate it.
    [have some idea's,but would like to hear some confirmation]
    If you install Arch, and install Gnome as your DE, it's automatically Gnome 3 with GS.

You do have some configuration work to do with Arch, but once it works, it keeps working. While the rolling Debian is a testing repo, so sometimes it might break and you can't blame debian for it.

I think I'll do a new installation of Arch with GS pretty soon.

Beans

Does anybody know of a way off launching multiple applications from the overview window

like selecting the ones you always use - maybe as a group .....

reason - it was brought up here ,,,,, LINK
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 28th, 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderd17 View Post
    I was on gNatty v2, 32-bit. And I saw that a "partial distribution upgrade" was possible via the update manager. I know those things are dangerous, but I thought I would just try it. The upgrade installed fine, GS still loads. But it doesn't connect to any network (not wireless or wired). I just get a message that my device isn't supported on this "version". I don't know if they mean Ubuntu version or Gnome version, but it's shown with such an "Ooops" Gnome Face.

As a result, I don't know if it's the fault of Ubuntu (a problem with Oneiric maybe) or the fault of Gnome.

I'm now on a Mint 11 installation that I had still installed (always good to have a backup OS ).

Did anyone else see those problems? Or something like it?
    My partial upgrade fails..as in update manager quits, and doesn't do anything.

Beans
    Distro

Rolling Distro

I'm experimenting with my LMDE installation right now that is happily running gnome shell, it's a real Frankenstein project. Currently downloading all the deb files in an attempt to create a local repository, from there creating an iso using live-magic.

Not sure of my chances for success but if it works I think this will become Mogwai v1 amd64.

Beans

Looking forward to the release of the Mint one ... hope it goes well ....

ok did not know what Livemagic was ..... do now though ..ty

If you have a running copy why wont remastersys work on it ( there is a debian based one I think ) ?
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 28th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Looking forward to the release of the Mint one ... hope it goes well ....

If you have a running copy why wont remastersys work on it ?
    The newest Remsastersys I've been able to find depends on an initramfs package that conflicts with the installed initramfs-tools.

If live-magic works the way I think it does I think the result will be even better than a Remastersys distro, but it's all theoretical right now. After I get this local repo populated I'll have to see what can be done with it, I'm assuming that it can be accessed by synaptic in some way. Possibly select 'Local' under origins & select all maybe. If I can't create the iso I'll probably just attach the deb download script & sources.list so anybody can create their own version. I'm using the amd64 version but I'm thinking a search & replace of amd64 with i386 might be all it takes for a 32-bit version of the script. Time will tell.

Beans

I have never tried using a local repository ...... but again I hope it works ok .....

never really looked into creating one - but it sounds fun ....

I got Gnome-Shell running now in 11.10 and all the functionality is back .... now is a good time to
    try it out ..... as of yesterday there were few problems ..... today Lightdm seems a problem ...

But I use kdm anyway so it does not affect me ...... and nearly all the gNatty pack extensions work too

just two extensions if installed and are set to 3.1.3 will freeze it .... mediaplayer one and a statusbutton one ..... cannot remember there full names off hand ....

Screenshot tells a thousand words

still a few more to check out ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 28th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

Page 151 of 177 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast