Page 112 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1770

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Can someone clue me in on what the difference is from this and UGR? Just trying to grasp the concept of what's going on in here. Thanks.

Also, is there a 32 bit version? Or does anybody know if Intel Atoms support 64 bit?
    Last edited by Roasted; June 21st, 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe View Post
    It does not not load the desktop for me to select the fallback option in Live DVD--

I left Dapper for sentimental reasons--I used breezy first, but that option is not available.
    Did see this on a DVD too,hmmm thought it was a toaster.

Anyway,do you have a USB stick available,2GB would be nice.
    If you do have one,install unetbootin and install the ISO on the USB stick,it will work.

I burned a DVD for a friend and it wouldn't load the desktop either,so I put it on a spare USB stick and all works well.
    Have no idea why it wouldn't burn to a DVD though,maybe cbowman can shed a light at this?
    Resistance is futile.....you will be assimilated!

Registered Linux User 418427.
    #Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    hello everyone

first off all im enjoying this release allot! It's so much better than Unity, ugh.

Anyways.. my last update removed my network manager... so reinstall trhough convential methods won't work. Anyone know how i can install this or has .deb's? Thanks allot
    Please enlighten us with what release you're working,because the v3 has the new network manager.
    I had this once with a Ubuntu Natty install with the ricotz ppa enabled,but never with one of cbowmans releases.

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I did it!

(1) Live DVD x64 v3
    (2) Hardware has nvidia gforce 330m
    (3) Boot up with Live DVD
    (4) After ISOLINUX....press F6 and select NOMODSET (?spelling)
    (5) Let is load into desktop and select Gnome Classic (no effects)
    (6) Install as usual
    (7) Reboot and login into Gnome Classic
    (8) Use jockey-gtk to install nvidia drivers
    (9) Reboot
    (10) Login into GNOME session and voila, gnatty in its full glory!

Now:
    (1) How to get the GUI windows to look and honor the general theme--they are too sharp and lack lusture
    (2) gnome-tweak-tool is handy and I have managed to setup fonts
    (3) I use chromium-browser, why are the close/minimize/max buttons on the left side? How to make it look at Gnome 3 theme?

This is exciting...
    Last edited by shuttleworthwannabe; June 21st, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Can someone clue me in on what the difference is from this and UGR? Just trying to grasp the concept of what's going on in here. Thanks.

Also, is there a 32 bit version? Or does anybody know if Intel Atoms support 64 bit?
    There would be a 32 bit version one on these days,as far as I know cbowman is making one for sure.

The difference between UGR and this should be clarified by the maker of this release,butI can tell you what I know and if I'm mistaken,cbowman can correct me.

The UGR team gives you the tools to install Gnome-Shell on a fresh Natty install.
    In simplified terms,cbowman made a copy of his install with UGR,after modifying extensions and themes and testing of course.
    This copy is made available for you to install Gnome-Shell on a easy manner.

So if you do a clean Natty install,and use the UGR ppa and the gnome3 ppa ,you should basically get the same,but without the extra's which cbowman has build in.

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    There would be a 32 bit version one on these days,as far as I know cbowman is making one for sure.

The difference between UGR and this should be clarified by the maker of this release,butI can tell you what I know and if I'm mistaken,cbowman can correct me.

The UGR team gives you the tools to install Gnome-Shell on a fresh Natty install.
    In simplified terms,cbowman made a copy of his install with UGR,after modifying extensions and themes and testing of course.
    This copy is made available for you to install Gnome-Shell on a easy manner.

So if you do a clean Natty install,and use the UGR ppa and the gnome3 ppa ,you should basically get the same,but without the extra's which cbowman has build in.
    I was wondering if this version was avoiding the use of a PPA, because I've had some weirdness with the Gnome 3 PPA using Gnome Shell with both Ubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11. That said, Fedora 15 (using Gnome 3 by default) hasn't given me these issues. I want to use a "real" Gnome 3 distro without waiting till October for 11.10 to natively support Gnome 3 and then just install Gnome Shell from the repos, so that's why I'm using F15 for now.

Has anybody noticed any weirdness using this spin as opposed to the Gnome 3 PPA on 11.04? Or has this spin been more stable?

Beans

Please enlighten us with what release you're working,because the v3 has the new network manager.
    I had this once with a Ubuntu Natty install with the ricotz ppa enabled,but never with one of cbowmans releases.
    i'm working with release v2 hope you know what i can do ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe View Post
    I did it!

(1) Live DVD x64 v3
    (2) Hardware has nvidia gforce 330m
    (3) Boot up with Live DVD
    (4) After ISOLINUX....press F6 and select NOMODSET (?spelling)
    (5) Let is load into desktop and select Gnome Classic (no effects)
    (6) Install as usual
    (7) Reboot and login into Gnome Classic
    (8) Use jockey-gtk to install nvidia drivers
    (9) Reboot
    (10) Login into GNOME session and voila, gnatty in its full glory!

Now:
    (1) How to get the GUI windows to look and honor the general theme--they are too sharp and lack lusture
    (2) gnome-tweak-tool is handy and I have managed to setup fonts
    (3) I use chromium-browser, why are the close/minimize/max buttons on the left side? How to make it look at Gnome 3 theme?

This is exciting...
    Congrats to you,it's exiting indeed.
    Did you install the extensions and the themes yet?
    To get the close and minimize and max buttons to the right side,open ubuntu-tweaktool NOT gnome-tweak-tool,and there's an option to set them on the other side of the window.
    I'm a Dutch speaking guy and I don't really understand point 1
    but try some different themes and gtk3 and metacity themes in the tweaktool.
    I use Zukitwo as a shell theme,atolm gtk3 as gtk3 and elegant as metacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    i'm working with release v2 hope you know what i can do ...
    This would be the 32 bit release,this should have the new network manager also.
    What did you do to get it not working?
    Did you enable the ricotz ppa?
    If you did enable the ricotz ppa,it would be advised to disable it again,it can and will break your install and it's not intended for novice users,only if you know what you're doing and can come to solutions,you can enable this one.

If it did work before you can go back to a previous version of the network manager with synaptic.
    Find the network-manager in synaptic with the search,select it,and go to Package in your menu.
    Select force version and select the previous one which worked.

My bad,I did re read your message and I understand you have no more internet on that computer.
    The same happened to me.
    I had no internet,not much time at hand,so I did a fresh install over it,should be no more then twenty minutes or so,and you're up and running again.
    I don't think there's a .deb or something like that available for the network manager,may be a tar.gz on launchpad or the site for network manager,but I'm not sure at all,and I don't know if it will work.
    Last edited by bulldog; June 21st, 2011 at 09:30 PM.

#Ubuntu User 3226#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Congrats to you,it's exiting indeed.
    Did you install the extensions and the themes yet?
    To get the close and minimize and max buttons to the right side,open ubuntu-tweaktool NOT gnome-tweak-tool,and there's an option to set them on the other side of the window.
    I'm a Dutch speaking guy and I don't really understand point 1
    but try some different themes and gtk3 and metacity themes in the tweaktool.
    I use Zukitwo as a shell theme,atolm gtk3 as gtk3 and elegant as metacity.
    How do I install new themes? Drag and drop? but where?
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Page 112 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast