Thread: Oh, oh... error: hd0.1 out of disk?

Hybrid View

Beans

Oh, oh... error: hd0.1 out of disk?

So I'm running ubuntu 10.04 64 bit on my pc and I can't boot! During startup I see this:
    error: hd0.1 out of disk
    grub rescue>
    When I try to reinstall it tells me that the disk encountered a boot install error and that I will be redirected to the live desktop in which I should investigate the matter further. I can't find anything so I just install as normally and during reboot I see this again:
    error:hd0.1 out of disk
    grub rescue>
    I have reinstalled several times and this is all I get. A friend told me that my bios may be corrupt.

So, uh, Help!!! What do I do???

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Oh, oh... error: hd0.1 out of disk?

This thread may be helpful:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1331730

Also, next time you install Ubuntu, leave the /boot folder in a separate partition (100MB is enough), it helps a lot by making recovery more practical.

Beans

I'll try that right now. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I'm getting this error with an interesting method of installing Ubuntu, which has never failed me in the past.

Using Windows 7 x64, I also have VMWare Workstation 7.1. With VMWare, in order to speed up the Ubuntu Install process, I attach a physical drive to the VM, attaching the Ubuntu ISO as a CD, then starting the VM and installing.

After all is installed, I am (usually) able to reboot the VM without problems and do whatever I do. Also, because Linux is so superior in this fashion compared to Windows, I am able to boot the physical machine from that physical disk as if I had installed the system as normal and not through VMWare. (Of course, if I want proprietary hardware drivers for the physical machine (IE:nVidia), I just install them and go). After installing such drivers, I am (usually) still able to boot into it as a Virtual Machine and everything works as good as can be.

Now, after installing and mounting the drive with EXT2FDS in Windows, I get the Out Of Disk error when trying to boot into VMWare. NOTE: First inistial boot (2-3 times tested), I was able to boot into Linux just fine. Even though I get the error when attempting to boot through VMWare in Windows Host, I am able to fully boot into Ubuntu with the physical machine (Same Exact Physical Hard Disk). No errors. I'm thinking this is a problem with VMWare since 7.x.x came out as I have never seen this problem before.

Has anybody used this method? Getting the Errors?

System: Physical Windows 7 x64 with VMWare Ubuntu VM(Get Errors)
    Physical Ubuntu (No Errors), SAME Physical Disk Drive
    Ubuntu Version: 11.04

-Cybie