Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Beating back the telephone virus scammers

Beans

Re: Beating back the telephone virus scammers

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Dude View Post
    I've never heard of these scams.
    Are they that common? Or is it just in some countries?
    We use a digital answering machine, which causes 95% of the phone scammers to hang up as soon as their computers realise the situation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Dude View Post
    I've never heard of these scams.
    Are they that common? Or is it just in some countries?
    They are common enough to hit the news. If they didn't ruin some people's lives, it would be a funny curiosity. But they do ruin people's lives through banking and identity theft.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SMS Spam

This just in:
    CONGRATULATIONS YOUR CELL NUMBER HAS BEEN AWARDED £510,000.00 POUNDS IN THE ONGOING UK PROMO FOR CLAIMS SEND EMAIL TO: iphoneinc@live.co.uk
    Happy days! I'm rich!

(Apparently the SMS came from a German number, but I didn't get any hits when I searched
    in a German phone directory. For the records: I'm in Europe, but not Germany.)
    Last edited by Dry Lips; July 5th, 2011 at 10:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    We use a digital answering machine, which causes 95% of the phone scammers to hang up as soon as their computers realise the situation.
    One thing that annoys me, I can't remember if I had it happen on a tape-based answering machine (it has been a while), is when people hang up after the beep without leaving a message. On the other hand, as long as the caller isn't calling from a confidential or unlisted number, the voice mail service we use from our phone company is able to tell us the caller's number.....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Retlol View Post
    Or just call the cops saying scammers are calling you to try to get access to your pc.

Or your phone provider if the cops are "busy".
    Have to call Dunkin Donuts to reach a cop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

They've surfaced in New Zealand.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...ter-virus-scam

I got a couple of calls from them. These are the notes I made at the time, in case they got really persistent and I needed to report them.

Both calls young woman with asian accent and not very clear english.

Noise in the background both times, a number of other people speaking.

Asking about my computer. The second time, gave some technical-sounding name such as Computer Technical Support for Windows.

First time, tried to tell me that my computer was causing a problem on the internet. When I mentioned that I didn't use Windows and that I hadn't been told their name, she hung up.

The second time, she didn't get that far. She asked was I the main user of the computer. I said, "Yes I am." then silence. Then a hangup. I strongly suspect it was going to be the same thing.
    Even though I knew perfectly well what I was dealing with, it wasn't fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you want to waste their time, it's best to lead them on. If you're experienced enough with Windows, you can pretend you're doing all this on a Windows computer, even though you're not doing anything at all.

You could always find reasons to restart the process and have them explain it again, or when they get to the point that they want your credit card information, explain that your [insert relative here] is good with computers and should be able to handle the virus themselves... Just get creative. The best way to keep them on the phone and wasting time is by letting them think they've got you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I never get scammers this interesting..I normally get diploma mills trying to sell me degrees. But this has all been amusing food for thought. (and pity on those who were brought aware of tubgirl by this thread)

ETA: my favorite response to telemarketers: "Marry me!"
    Last edited by TheOutlier; July 22nd, 2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: wanted to add more comment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    If you want to waste their time, it's best to lead them on. If you're experienced enough with Windows, you can pretend you're doing all this on a Windows computer, even though you're not doing anything at all.

You could always find reasons to restart the process and have them explain it again, or when they get to the point that they want your credit card information, explain that your [insert relative here] is good with computers and should be able to handle the virus themselves... Just get creative. The best way to keep them on the phone and wasting time is by letting them think they've got you.
    and then mid scam ... exclaim ... oh, sh**, got a blue screen .. have to re-boot and let's try this again!! and take forever for it to the desktop again (typical Windows boot thing!)

Here in the US, one of the scams is to allow remote access to the computer so that they can "fix" the problem. (steal your information)

I took one of them for ride a few weeks back with the "there you go, you should be able to get in now!" and when they came back with the "no can't see anything" give them the "then there is something wrong with your computer .. maybe you got a virus!"
    Guy was speechless .. and then I hung up!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    These are the notes I made at the time, in case they got really persistent and I needed to report them.
    You're wasting your time. They were already tracked down and had their website taken down, but for them it was just a temporary interruption.

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    If you're experienced enough with Windows, you can pretend you're doing all this on a Windows computer, even though you're not doing anything at all.
    Only up to a point. They want to connect using TeamViewer.

That's why I've created a Virtual Box (which I did get working eventually). I'll let them waste as much time as I can with it, because they can't do any damage. Having said that, I like your ideas -- the more we can stall them, the more frustrated we can make them while keeping them away from other victims.

It would be nice for the banks to get together and make a pool of fake credit card numbers, for which you could register in order to help trace scammers. If you use the card, no money will be transferred, but the banks will be immediately alerted. Hmm, there's an idea...
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast