Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boot a cd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: boot a cd

PRAM stores certain system and device settings in a location that Mac OS X can access quickly. Exactly which settings are stored in the computer's PRAM varies depending on the type of computer as well as the types of devices and drives connected to the computer. Parameter RAM is a small area of non-volatile RAM (NVRAM).
    Some information stored in PRAM includes:

• Display and video settings such as refresh rate, screen resolution, number of colors
    • Startup volume choice
    • Speaker volume
    • Recent kernel panic information, if any
    • DVD region setting Note: Mac OS X stores your preselected DVD region choice in PRAM for easy access. Resetting PRAM does not allow you to change the DVD region.

Unlike prior versions of the Mac OS, Mac OS X does not store network settings in PRAM. If you experience a network issue, resetting PRAM will not help.
    If PRAM is reset, you may need to verify your time zone, startup volume, and volume settings using System Preferences. Certain firmware updates may reset PRAM as a normal part of their installation process.

Beans

Thanks very much.

I recognize I'm a bit scared. Are you sure I'll be able to boot normally at least my linux partition after that? Anyway, I'll do some backup before trying. I'll keep you posted.

Martin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

yes you will be ok i have to do it sometimes

Beans

OMG...IT WORKS!

Sorry for the late notice, but I was kind of scared the computer won't boot at all after that, so I wait until I have another computer running.

Anyway, you saved my computer, man! Thanks so much! Now I can boot from a CD, so I can reinstall Linux if there is a problem, and reinstall OSX when I have to give the computer back (it's a professional laptop). That's perfect!

Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of this stupid startup noise. I guess I'll be OK.

Thanks again!
    Martin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12