Thread: Booby Trap Detection system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Booby Trap Detection system

Are there any programs out there that scan ports for certain text patterns leaving your computer?

Edit by The Cog:
    Sorry, I clicked the wrong button and edited this post instead of quoting it.
    Last edited by The Cog; May 9th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
    You can take my trousers but you won't take my Freedom !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Booby Trap Detection system

You might want to look at iptables or tcpdump. I know iptables can filter/log packets based on text patterns and tcpdump can 'dump' packet data.
    Personally I would just use apparmor/truecrypt to prevent this access. Apparmor has the benefit of preventing unauthorized access and logging it
    Also, if you install apparmor-notify, you'll be instantly told when there's been a denial

Something like
    Code:
     watch -n 2 lsof -Pn | grep myfilename
    might work as well

EDIT: That doesn't actually work for me, but just to give you an idea
    Last edited by CandidMan; May 9th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Take a look at the Honeynet project. It already does sort of what you are talking about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hope something like that exists

I'd try it out on an unpatched system, no apparmour, scripts enabled - the lot. Then visit a Jihad Forum and create a file called my Taliban Contacts & see what happens

I'm not that Technical - it's been a loooooong time since I worked with computers. I'm guessing you couldn't pull off a 'string' search on secure connection ( https ) as the data would already be scrambled and encrypted? Maybe it would have to be implemented when the files are being opened and read. Dunno - maybe some of the die hard here would have a better understanding.

If I wanted to find some info on someone I'd try and lift their email for starters. Some sort of unique code in the email data could be spotted by such a system and give the alert that your system has been breached.

I was just checking out the default directory permissions on Ubuntu - it seems anyone can read each others directory. A quick look in my wife's evolution email folder and have a look for her email. Plain text too ! She's ordered a silk Little Red Riding Hood robe and pure white stockings and suspenders - no underwear ! Look like I'm in for an interesting weekend. I guess I'm playing the part of the Big Bad Wolf LOL.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SparTacux View Post
    I was just checking out the default directory permissions on Ubuntu - it seems anyone can read each others directory.
    That shouldn't be possible... Did you use sudo?
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Joe of loath View Post
    That shouldn't be possible... Did you use sudo?
    Sounds as if you are not familiar with Ubuntu Security Policy:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam...ctory%20Access

Lots of debate on the issue
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SparTacux View Post
    Are there any programs out there that scan ports for certain text patterns leaving your computer?
    Try ngrep - it might be what you are looking for. It's in the repositories.

ngrep strives to provide most of GNU grep's common features,
    applying them to the network layer. ngrep is a pcap-aware tool that
    will allow you to specify extended regular expressions to match
    against data payloads of packets. It currently recognizes TCP, UDP
    and ICMP across Ethernet, PPP, SLIP and null interfaces, and
    understands bpf filter logic in the same fashion as more common
    packet sniffing tools, such as tcpdump and snoop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Try ngrep - it might be what you are looking for. It's in the repositories.
    I had a look at it on sourceforge.net. Thanks for that.

It's sort of what I'm looking for and is a step in the right direction. Something like that needs developing into an application that can pop up an alert and give you the option of blocking the connection. NGREP seems to only work with plaintext which is fine for analysing traffic on say port 80 but wouldn't work on port 443. Maybe if it was tied closely with the web browser then it would have access to the encryption algorithm used on a secure connection and possibly check out the data on secure connections?

It's just an abstract idea - I'm not technical enough to know if it could do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CandidMan View Post
    You might want to look at iptables or tcpdump. I know iptables can filter/log packets based on text patterns and tcpdump can 'dump' packet data.
    Personally I would just use apparmor/truecrypt to prevent this access. Apparmor has the benefit of preventing unauthorized access and logging it
    Also, if you install apparmor-notify, you'll be instantly told when there's been a denial

Something like
    Code:
     watch -n 2 lsof -Pn | grep myfilename
    might work as well

EDIT: That doesn't actually work for me, but just to give you an idea
    I get the gist of that. By the look of it you could implement it at the file open level and look what applications are opening it and take action depending on the result. As you say Apparmor should stop all unauthorised access providing it has been set up correctly. Sometimes you want to let the thief in to catch him at it - so to speak. I'm pretty new to Linux and haven't by any means really got to grips with it yet. A little project like this should get me moving :--)