Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen Resolution Out-of-range at Boot Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Screen Resolution Out-of-range at Boot Ubuntu 10.04

While trying to get the system to boot with the screen resolution I need, somehow I apparently set it to a value that my monitor will not display. When my Ubuntu 10.04 boots, the screen just displays an out-of-range message and the system is completely unusable.

I tried removing the file: ~/.config/monitors.xml
    as described on this page
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
    but that had no effect.

Someone told me to install a different display board, but that gave the same results. The system was working fine except for the resolution problems with the Nvidia driver. The display board is an Nvidia GEForce2 MX400 64MB AGP and the driver I installed is the recommended one from Nvidia.

I hope someone can help because I have been unable to do anything with on my computer for several weeks. Thanks for any help,

Lloyd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Screen Resolution Out-of-range at Boot Ubuntu 10.04

Check if a file called xorg.conf exists in /etc/X11. If so, make a backup of it.

Did you try recovery mode with failsafe X?

Other things to try
    1)
    Check if a file called xorg.conf exists in /etc/X11. If so
    1a)
    verify the contents. It might contain a HorizSync and a VertRefresh that don't match your monitor's specs. Or an incorrect resolution. Fix it up (if you have the knowledge)
    1b)
    Make a backup of it and delete it. Restart the x-server (or reboot the system).
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; May 9th, 2011 at 06:32 AM.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wim,
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the recovery mode option in the grub menu. It gives me the same out-of-range error. Is that the same as failsafe X?

1a) I went through my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file a couple of days ago and compared it against a man page that describes the file. The only thing I could find to change was the ranges for the HorizSync and a VertRefresh. I set them to match the specs for the monitor and got the same out-of-range error. It seems like there should be a way to give it a file with exact specs that describe the model of the monitor I am using, but I don't see a way to do that.

1b) I tried booting the system after deleting the xorg.conf file just now and got the same out-of-range message.

As nearly as I can remember, the last thing I did before the system became unusable was I tried to get the system to boot with the vertical rate to 60 Hz. All of the settings I changed up to that point were make in GUI mode. I think I was having a problem because when I tried to set the vertical rate to 60 Hz, the software would go into an interlaced mode. I don't think my monitor does interlaced mode. I had hoped to find a setting in xorg.conf which would specify a non-interlaced mode, but I couldn't find a way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

failsafeX is an option (in a simple menu) once you are in recovery mode. But you don't see the menu so that does not help.

Does your xorg.conf have a section like below? If so, change the driver in that section to vesa (I've marked the line in bold). Leave the identifier as is in your xorg.conf .

If not, add it. I'm getting on territory that I'm not familiar with (would be trial and error for me), so not sure how to advice further in this case.

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier     "NVIDIA Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache]"
        Driver         "nvidia"
    EndSection
    If that gets you going, you might be able to take it from there with another driver.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wim,
    I tried changing the driver line:
    Driver "vesa"
    and I get the same out-of-range message.

Wim, Thanks very much for your suggestions. If you think of something else that I might try, please let me know.

Lloyd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Heres some suggestions but I am no expert.
    > Boot from livecd and access and reset your video card (drivers) from there.
    > Backup your important stuff using windows.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=read%...386a9c3eba4fdd

Then re-install ubuntu from scratch.
    * Peppermint 2 * AMD Sempron 2600+ * 1 gig ddr-400 ram * nvidia geforce 6200-512mb agp 8x *
    * AOC 24" @ 1920by1200 * 3G mobile broadband * browsers: chromium / opera *

`Yes that's my dog, his name is mups'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Duncan, I don't understand.
    How would I access and reset the video card drivers after booting from the live CD?
    How could I use Windows to backup important stuff? I don't have Windows on this system, if that is what you are thinking.
    What does that link for a Google search have to do with this problem, or is it a typo?

On Ubuntu 10.04, is there not better way to fix this problem than reinstalling the whole system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@Lloyd Ewing

Im new on this linux world but i had same problem on my Old desktop PC:

Try one of the below

Press: Alt+F2 or Ctrl+F2, you can Use F4, F5, F3 too .

This is to change screen resolutions What happened to me was 2 things:

:-1 Case:

I got a Terminal.

:-2 Case:

Got ubuntu splash screen and after that live.
    Everyday I'm Shuffling
    \__#__#__#__#__#__#__#__/
    Ubuntu: V (11.04)
    Learning and Willing to help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

CoolGuy220,
    I tried hitting each of those keys after the out-of-range message was displayed, and nothing happened. Is that what you meant? I haven't read anything about using function keys to reset resolution in Ubuntu, are you sure you didn't have windows on that machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Nope but it was long time ago

Try Crtrl+Alt+F7, Here Crtl+Alt+F2 sends me to a code wall to login but when pressing Crtrl+Alt+F7 it get back to normal

I would look deeper so see if i could find that Post again

Ah also try to do the bootable USB with diferent program like:

Unetbootin, Linux USB creator, Pendrive linux.

Also u can do Unetbootin equivalent on Puppy but thats irrelevan for this case....
    Last edited by ThatCoolGuy220; May 10th, 2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Everyday I'm Shuffling
    \__#__#__#__#__#__#__#__/
    Ubuntu: V (11.04)
    Learning and Willing to help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast