Thread: ext4 file system hosed after Ubuntu 11 upgrade (duplicate directory & file names)

Beans

ecryptfs file system hosed after Ubuntu 11 upgrade (duplicate directory & file names)

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11 and a few days later my ecryptfs filesystem began misbehaving in a weird way.

In my home directory, many subdirectory names are duplicated verbatim. Here's an ls -F excerpt:
    Desktop/
    Desktop/
    Documents/
    Documents/
    Downloads/
    Downloads/

I can no longer access files in those directories (if I ls the directory, it appears empty; I can cd to it, but there's nothing inside).

Not all of the directories are duplicated/damaged like this, but most are. A few non-directory files are also duplicated in this fashion, so for example:
    -rw-r--r--1 dgross dgross 95 2011-05-08 16:16 .dmrc
    -rw-r--r--1 dgross dgross 95 2011-05-08 16:16 .dmrc

But I can read the contents of those files.

Because of the empty/damaged directories I can only start up in crippled recovery mode (too many essential files are impossible to find). Also many important content files are missing and I'd love to be able to recover them.

The file system info is
    /dev/sda1 [ext4]
    (there's also an sda5 / swap)
    ATA WDC WD5000BEVT-6
    574ddb2a-84ea-43bc-9f1e-78256acf8bb2

I haven't had any luck doing anything useful with gparted, fstab, or fsck. (I was able to force an fsck full scan at reboot, but it didn't complain of any problems.)

I would appreciate any help you could give me in diagnosing and fixing this problem. Please let me know what additional information you need and (if you can) a hint on how to gather it, as I'm only somewhat linux savvy.
    Last edited by Moorlock; May 10th, 2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: specify ecryptfs

Beans

Arrow fsck.ext4 output

> sudo fsck.ext4 /dev/sda1 -f -v
    e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information

250236 inodes used (0.84%)
    5514 non-contiguous files (2.2%)
    559 non-contiguous directories (0.2%)
    # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
    Extent depth histogram: 216180/243
    23781951 blocks used (19.98%)
    0 bad blocks
    1 large file
    181532 regular files
    26200 directories
    59 character device files
    26 block device files
    0 fifos
    423 links
    42407 symbolic links (33715 fast symbolic links)
    3 sockets
    --------
    250650 files

Beans

item in dmesg output

This looks like a possibly useful datapoint:

> dmesg | grep ryptfs
    [ 782.510299] Mount on filesystem of type eCryptfs explicitly disallowed due to known incompatibilities

Beans

Arrow ecryptfs directory hosed after Ubuntu 11 upgrade (duplicate directory & file names)

I just went into ...home/.ecryptfs/myname and did an ls -laF .Private/ and was surprised to see both encrypted and unencrypted names of the duplicated files and directories!

e.g.
    drwxr-xr-x 2 1000 1000 4096 2011-05-07 05:12 Downloads/
    drwxr-xr-x 22 1000 1000 4096 2011-05-05 03:11 ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.Gobbledygook--/

I'm not familiar enough with ecryptfs to know for sure, but that doesn't smell right to me. I think I'm going to try to move the unencrypted versions off to somewhere else and then remount the directory to see if that fixes things.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ext4 file system hosed after Ubuntu 11 upgrade (duplicate directory & file names)

Hi

I have no idea what the problem may be but please keep posting your investigations.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Re: ext4 file system hosed after Ubuntu 11 upgrade (duplicate directory & file names)

I moved all of the unencrypted files & directories out of .Private/ and rebooted. My home directory mounted as it ought to (though somewhat slowly... not sure what that's about) and at first glance it seems like everything is where it ought to be. Hope this helps the next poor sucker who runs into this.