Thread: Laptop recommendations

Beans

Laptop recommendations

Hai guise,

I'm thinking about buying a laptop in the next days... I'm having the chance to get a nice one so it is now or never.

Of course... I want to use unity full time on it so the question:

Suggestions on 11.04 compatible laptops? Price range is between 300 for a netbook, to 600 for a decent one that can use for work...

I'm already inclined towards some Acer models... and Dells are always reliable systems..

What do you say?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Laptop recommendations

I think I'd pay more attention to the components than to the brand. Get the best chipset you can, performance and battery life are but two of the things this affects. Get 4 GB memory, DDR3 hopefully. Get a good size hard drive so you can install numerous distributions.

I recently saw a real good recommendation. Take a live cd or usb to a store with some good candidate systems and boot them to it to test. That way you can test that chipset, video, wireless to ensure that it works right off. You don't have to buy from that store but you can test the candidate. Use natty for the test since it's the most current.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If I were you I will definetly go for any of the Toshiba books

Beans

Thanks!... I know looking into the specifications would be the right thing to do... but I am nut sure If I'm going to have the time to really go through the testing before purchase..

Thanks why I am asking for brands and models... but definitely... the life cd thing is the best suggestion evar