Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unable to install apps on 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unable to install apps on 11.04

Oh well, it's not that difficult. You just have to search the right tools (for package management, you can use apt-get, aptitude and the backend dpkg), then you ask the manual of those tools with the man command. You search things that interest you (in this case repairing a broken package or removing it) and you try it. If you're lucky, you'll get a helpful error message with a hint.

In this case, the first hint came from apt, about removing one specific package and the second hint from dpkg about some file that could not be removed. So creating an empty stub file worked.

Not everything must be done via the command line, but it's just easier to copy-paste an "rm" command than to describe what you have to remove and how.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

listen , just tell me the steps i need to follow. i have no idea whats packages,right tools,dpkg.
    i have same problm like clenny , downloading error.
    Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shamz_71 View Post
    i have the same problm , i cant download anything from the software centre anything and i get the same error that Mr Bean got.

I m the newest Ubuntu user ,just switched over from win7 and i ve no idea what to do. 100% pure newbie.

when i ran these 2 commands in terminal i got this

farooq@KhalidTank:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    dpkg: error: dpkg status database is locked by another process
    farooq@KhalidTank:~$ sudo dpkg --purge --force-all isight-firmware-tools

also when typing this , screen gets scrolled up and down automatically and sometimes it switches to some other option
    the packages database can not be edited by two programs at the time, so close all programs that have something to do with package management (installing, updating ...) and try again.

If that doesn't work, log out and back in and try agian or reboot and try again.

I don't think your problem is the same as clenny's, so just start at the beginning of the post and try the commands. When you get a different output than clenny got, post your output here and ask for help.

EDIT:
    listen , just tell me the steps i need to follow. i have no idea whats packages,right tools,dpkg.
    i have same problm like clenny , downloading error.
    I hadn't read your post, it was a reply to clenny. I only read the mail and didn't see yours yet.
    Last edited by sanderd17; June 2nd, 2011 at 10:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

maybe this will help u

Beans
    Hidden!

maybe this will help u
    yes, that means that some other program is using the database. So close all programs and try again. If that doesn't work, do a complete reboot and try again. As I said before.

Beans
    Distro

Nothing was opened or running . I restarted it said something partial upgrade and i said ok and now its fine. Can u refer me to some place where i can learn how Ubuntu works , how to operate and all FROM SCRATCH. i cant even find built in games here

Beans
    Hidden!

Nothing was opened or running . I restarted it said something partial upgrade and i said ok and now its fine. Can u refer me to some place where i can learn how Ubuntu works , how to operate and all FROM SCRATCH. i cant even find built in games here
    It must have been some system service running in the background. So now you can install apps I suppose.

About the games: Linux doesn't have many games. In the software center you find some card games and stuff like that, but no popular games. You can install some games via Wine, look at the wine database to see how good they are supported: http://appdb.winehq.org/. You should know, platinum apps install and run without major problems, siver apps are apps that can run if you do a lot of hacking (so they will not run out of the box). The program called play-on-linux (it's in the software center) is wine with the hacks applied for certain apps. So if your app is in play-on-linux, than it will also run.

But most Linux users (even die-hards) that also like to game keep a windows installation on their computer (just to game) or use consoles like the playstation, xbox, wii or others. I don't game, so I don't have a Windows partition anymore.

As for your screen problem, at login time you can choose your window manager (when you have to type your password), there you can choose gnome-classic. Try if you still have the problem.

For a manual, see this: http://ubuntu-manual.org/ I think there are also translated manuals, but I don't know where they are or how good. It's a manual for 10.04 (so the version from a year ago), but most things will be the same if you use gnome-classic.

If you want to learn more about the command line, see this site: http://linuxcommand.org/ it's linux command line (including filesystem and hardware handling) explained in 8 clear pages.

I hope this solved some questions.
    Last edited by sanderd17; June 2nd, 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123