Thread: Unable to connect to wireless network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unable to connect to wireless network

Hi all,

I've just tried to connect to a wireless network, using a Belkin Wireless N dongle, for my computer running Ubuntu 10.04, Kernel 2.6.32-31-generic, gnome 2.30.2

The computer is running dual boot with Windows, which is connecting to the network fine, so I have to assume its something to do with the computer set up, or some shennanigans. I'm not the most familiar with Ubuntu, so I dont know where best to start - but thats what the community is for, right?

So - a number of networks are showing up in my wireless networks list, but not the network I want to connect to.

Can anyone provide any help with what I need to do from here.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unable to connect to wireless network

So ; let me see if i understood you; You can see other networks which means the card is working,right?.. otherwise you wouldnt even see them ,?.. right?.. OK next : DO you know for certain that the network is sending ,broadcasting , or that it's even turned on?.. It might be set not to ,in which case you would need to KNOW it's Name SSID and it's Passmode ; wep /wpa ...etc and if you don't there's some great softwr that will help you connect to anything ... even a satellite, & NO i am NOT kidding ...
    Now that we met, How long ago did you post this thread ?.. Sorry i was still sleeping ;it's Sunday morning
    ... and i think someone spiked my beer last night , can you --help me 1 fax me a lt of Milk ... moo moo...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yep - the dongle looks like its working, cos its seeing other networks.
    Yep - the network is broadcasting, because thats what I'm posting this from (different machine)

I do know the SSID and passmode, because I have them on this machine - do I need to try connecting to a hidden network or something?

I was going to try a different network manager, but I cant download anything on the machine, because its not connected to the net :S

Any thoughts on the next steps?

Beans

If you don't see your WiFi node on the list then it's almost certainly not broadcasting its SSID. In which case, you should select the "Connect to a Hidden Wireless Network..." option and supply the correct node name and passphrase.