Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: grub menu mix-up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: grub menu mix-up

EDIT: D'OH! Guess I took too long to write this up!!

Most likely your issues have to do with Grub Customizer.

In /etc/grub.d, it created the *_proxy files, and the bin & proxifiedScripts folders.

When GC makes a change that requires a script modification, it moves the original script to /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts (and removes the leading ##_ from the name). It then creates a replacement script called *_proxy.

• To restore the normal Grub 2 files, first inspect 'proxifiedScripts' to ensure the originals are there.
    • Then remove any '*_proxy' scripts from /etc/grub.d and the /etc/grub.d/bin folders.
    • If necessary, move the files in 'proxifiedScripts' back to /etc/grub.d. 'If necessary' means if the originals don't already exist (e.g. 10_linux, 30_os-prober)
    • Remove the /etc/grub.d/bin and /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts folders. In my commands, I will rename them because I don't post "sudo rm" commands. Do as you wish, but be careful.
    • Rename the modified files, such as linux to 10_linux and os-prober to 30_os-prober.
    • Update grub.

Here is the command way, but opening Nautilus as root and accomplishing the same steps would be just as easy and safer.

Code:
    sudo -i  # Change to root. Be careful with the commands!
    cd /etc/grub.d
    ls proxifiedScripts
    mv proxifiedScripts/* /etc/grub.d/ # If necessary.
    mv bin bin.old && mv proxifiedScripts proxifiedScripts.old
    mv *_proxy proxifiedScripts.old
    mv linux 10_linux && mv os-prober 30_os-prober # If necessary.
    update-grub
    exit
    Last edited by drs305; May 8th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you for your efforts and solution. It should be helpful to others who see the same situation. What you posted would have worked I am sure.

I would think the because Grub Customizer works at little troublesome with an upgrade that it would be wise to disable it until the upgrade is running without problems.

Thanks again for your help.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wrote a guide on Grub Customizer. I didn't include anything on uninstalling, but I can use this experience to go back and do so as there is obviously a need.

I don't think GC has a 'reset' button. I wrote out all the commands in this post in case someone wanted to make a script to 'erase' the GC changes. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. What you wrote really is sufficient as long as you have replacements or renamed the files originally moved into the proxifiedScripts folder.

Happy Ubuntu-ing !
    Last edited by drs305; May 9th, 2011 at 12:46 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the explanation of the proxys, drs305. Something to watch out for in future
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: solved -Re: grub menu mix-up

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay7 View Post
    Thanks for the tips and great ideas. I was able to fix this by deleting the bin folder, ProxifiedScpips folder and the 10_linuxProxy and 30_os-Prober-proxy files from my /ect/grub.d

Then I did update-grub.

This took out the extra lines in the grub menu,

Thanks to all.
    Excellent! I am really glad you got this sorted out. Interesting experience too for all of us if we ever see something with proxy or proxified again.

Enjoy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123