Thread: Nvidia HDMI Problems

Beans

Nvidia HDMI Problems

Hi Ubuntu forums, this is actually my first post.

So I'm typically a Windows user and have been for some time now, but I am looking for something a little different. Everything is going fine with this new installation and I've updated everything to the most current without a problem, except for one thing- my Nvidia drivers.

Installing the Nvidia drivers had no problem at all and everything is working the way it should, but there is no way to disable HDMI audio.

Basically what happens when HDMI audio is enabled and turned on, my screen becomes VERY distorted and the text is almost undreadable, however this only happens when i'm on certain resolutions such as 1650x1080. When I use 1980x1020 (or whatever it is), the screen is fuzzy but it's not nearly as awful as it is when i turn it to a resolution the TV isn't used to??

I fixed this problem completely in windows 7 by disabling the HDMI audio in the control panel and everything turned back to perfect crystal clear on 1680x1050, but it seems that there is no option to do that in this xserver nvidia control panel provided with ubuntu. Help! This is annoying!

Beans

Re: Nvidia HDMI Problems

Have you tried creating a custom EDID file without the audio extensions?

Beans

No actually, I'm not even sure what that is.

Why wouldn't Nvidia just implement the feature like they did with the Windows drivers? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

How would I go about doing the EDID solution you mentioned?

Beans

bampan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which version of Ubuntu are you running, please? Audio setups are a little different between versions.

The Hedge

p.s. This is my how to to turn ON audio over HDMI in Natty. If you are using Natty and want to turn it off, reverse the audio setups to turn off HDMI and turn on the Sound Card: Natty How To: Audio over HDMI for NVidia
    Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans

To be completely honest I'm not sure what version it is, but it's most definitely the newest version, because I just downloaded it yesterday or maybe 2 days ago.