Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting death threats made on youtube against a non youtube user?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Reporting death threats made on youtube against a non youtube user?

Hi.

I know this is way out of topic for "Linux-y" things I usually talk about, and I hope this is within the bounds of the community cafe, as there are some smart people here, and I don't know where else to ask.

But the question is if you notice that a Youtube user is threatening to kill someone who is NOT a Youtube user on Youtube, who should you contact? Youtube only seems interested in death threats being made against a Youtube user. Not to mention that it seems that the reporting tool seems buggy...

Should one contact the police? If so, which one, the local police, or the police for the city where the death threat target is?

Thanks.
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Reporting death threats made on youtube against a non youtube user?

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    Hi.

I know this is way out of topic for "Linux-y" things I usually talk about, and I hope this is within the bounds of the community cafe, as there are some smart people here, and I don't know where else to ask.

But the question is if you notice that a Youtube user is threatening to kill someone who is NOT a Youtube user on Youtube, who should you contact? Youtube only seems interested in death threats being made against a Youtube user. Not to mention that it seems that the reporting tool seems buggy...

Should one contact the police? If so, which one, the local police, or the police for the city where the death threat target is?

Thanks.
    Youtube should deal with death threats regardless. Unless it's a joke video like 'I'm going to kill Justin Bieber because his music sucks', report it to Youtube and they should deal with it.

Beans

Hi.

Thanks.
    AFAIK (IANAL) You COULD contact the police. (Emphasis on "could" that should be serious last resort stuff.) (It would be the one for their jurisdiction I'm sure.) I guess the person being threatened could file a DMCA take down?

EDIT: You may want to save the video for evidence in any case, however, the youtube EULA has words about this (Saving their videos) that apply.
    EDIT2: Due to comments made by NovaAesa, may I note that before filing ANYTHING you should be aware of applicable laws to avoid counter suit.
    Last edited by Thewhistlingwind; May 8th, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks.

Its not in a video, but in a comment that the user has been spamming another one with.

Thewhistlingwind Thanks for the suggestion. I took a screenshot of it in the users recent activity. That should prevent me from violating the EULA as I collect the evidence.

Throne777
    I am trying to report it to youtube right now, but I've been waiting for their tool to find the users comments in the video for three days now.

There are millions of comments in this video, and the reporting tool does not seem to handle that well. I don't think it should be taking this long.

I tried mentioning this on the youtube help fourm. I got no replies yet.

As far as the seriousness of it goes, it IS targeted at a celebrity, the user COULD be joking, but judging by the tone, its extremely graphic, sinister, and long winded that I can't rest assured that he is joking...

And here is what concerns me even more: I searched for more comments by this user, and I found one of his comments in another video about a 911 call which ended up in a murder he left two weeks ago... He states that, I roughly quote here, I can't really find a better way to put it: he is "turned on by imagining himself as the murderer"...

Beans

I doubt if someone was going to do something as serious as that that they would be talking about it, they would just do it on Youtube/public.
    Could be they're looking for a reaction or attention? without actually seeing the video it's hard to estimate the risk.

Beans
    Hidden!

Youtube comment blocker - Stop innane comments from ruining your youtube experience.

http://goo.gl/HBTpz

simple solution
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Thewhistlingwind View Post
    I guess the person being threatened could file a DMCA take down?
    I really hope you're joking... this is the kind of thing that has really ruined youtube as of late. Additionally, if you file a false DMCA claim, you are liable to being sued (and probably deserve to be sued...).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NovaAesa View Post
    I really hope you're joking... this is the kind of thing that has really ruined youtube as of late. Additionally, if you file a false DMCA claim, you are liable to being sued (and probably deserve to be sued...).
    I thought that was a legitimate DMCA claim? (Again IANAL)

EDIT: Also, it would be quite the case to be sued over a take down concerning death threats.
    EDIT2: Especially graphic, vulgar death threats. Just a note, if the video is Friday, their probably trolling, don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Thewhistlingwind; May 8th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aguafina View Post
    I doubt if someone was going to do something as serious as that that they would be talking about it, they would just do it on Youtube/public.
    Could be they're looking for a reaction or attention? without actually seeing the video it's hard to estimate the risk.
    The user left the comment multiple times on the infamous "Friday" video by Rebbecca Black...

And I should mention that nowhere in his threat does he mention the song...
    Last edited by nerdopolis; May 8th, 2011 at 01:20 AM.

Beans

The user left the comment multiple times on the infamous "Friday" video by Rebbecca Black...

I wish them luck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast