Thread: Keyring password on startup - I have to input it 5 or 6 times.

Beans

Keyring password on startup - I have to input it 5 or 6 times.

So, each time my computer starts, I have to input my keyring password 5 to 6 times (I suppose this many apps need authorization). Can it be done so that I input it only one time?

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Keyring password on startup - I have to input it 5 or 6 times.

5 or 6 times???
    Is this good?
    I have to input it only to connect to the internet and I can also disable this by making the network available to all users easily (but I don't because I don't want it to be available to all users xD)
    Can you please tell us which applications are requesting for password?

Also, please notice that an attempt of giving the wrong password results to another prompt requesting for password. Are you sure this isn't the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

yeah me too, i am sure i have input my password correctly, but it still pops several times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Boris-- View Post
    So, each time my computer starts, I have to input my keyring password 5 to 6 times (I suppose this many apps need authorization). Can it be done so that I input it only one time?
    you can even set it to never ask for passwords.
    go to system » preferences » passwords and keys, remove/clear up every keyring there including login or default then next time you login enter the wireless or email password but for the keyring password either set one or use a blank password, just click the okay button if you prefer the unsecured option.

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I assume that this must be very annoying!
    Can you give more info about the programs that require your password or (OMG) you blindly give it (DANGER)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hakermania View Post
    I assume that this must be very annoying!
    Can you give more info about the programs that require your password or (OMG) you blindly give it (DANGER)?
    Well, just off the top they are:

gm-notify (gmail checker)
    ubuntu one
    wireless network
    empathy
    google calendar.

So there is no way that I can just write the password one time? Definitively not going for the unsecured no-password option but writing the same password for 5 times fells stupid.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Boris-- View Post
    Well, just off the top they are:

gm-notify (gmail checker)
    ubuntu one
    wireless network
    empathy
    google calendar.

So there is no way that I can just write the password one time? Definitively not going for the unsecured no-password option but writing the same password for 5 times fells stupid.
    theres something wrong with the keyring setup, follow my instructions and set new keyring password, should fix your problem with new keyring profile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    go to system » preferences » passwords and keys, remove/clear up every keyring there including login or default then next time you login enter the wireless or email password but for the keyring password either set one or use a blank password, just click the okay button if you prefer the unsecured option.
    What if I use Natty?

Beans
    Distro

I have mine set up so so that login password is the same as the keyring password. When I give the login password at the start of my session it simultaneously opens the keyring.

I don't really recommend leaving the keyring or login password blank.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I think one of them might be related to the screensaver (the second or third prompt, after typing my password goes straight to screensaver). I had the same problem on 10.10, but I could just "esc" my way out of having to type it in. Now the prompts are more insistent. I don't mind terribly getting 7 (last count) prompts. I would like to know what it is I'm unlocking for whom.

Unfortunately
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=574315#c4

It sounds to me like the solution is to put all your passowrds in the "login" keyring and do away with auto-login. You'll be typing your password anyway, so there's very little savings in using auto-login. You could also set your keyring password to blank, but that seems insecure IMO.