Thread: Unity Not Available in 11.04 (Macbook)

Beans

Unity Not Available in 11.04 (Macbook)

Hi all,

I am new to using Ubuntu as an OS so please pardon in advance my ignorance.

I installed 11.04 64-bit as a partition on my Macbook Pro. This macbook is only a year old, so I think the hardware is okay for Unity. For some reason though, I have Gnome 2.32.1 as my desktop. Upon login, Unity is not one of the options at the bottom of the screen.

I don't see Unity as an option in System Settings/Login Screen either. So I'm wondering -- is Unity not made for running on a macbook? I did a google search and didn't find much information. If it is possible to run on a macbook, how do I enable it as an option?

I have 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 installed, but I am not sure if this has any bearing on my problem.

Also, I went to synaptic to look for unity, and apparently it is already installed. So my question is -- how do I make Unity work in my Ubuntu installation?

Thank you,

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unity Not Available in 11.04 (Macbook)

Do you know what type of video card you are using?

If not, post the results of:
    Code:
    lspci
    This might be related to a bug in jockey. Check under System> Administration> Additional Drivers for an error at the bottom.
    |

Beans

Re: Unity Not Available in 11.04 (Macbook)

Quote Originally Posted by spikoley View Post
    Do you know what type of video card you are using?

If not, post the results of:
    Code:
    lspci
    This might be related to a bug in jockey. Check under System> Administration> Additional Drivers for an error at the bottom.
    Hey I installed the drivers and now Unity is my default -- I will test it out and see how it goes. Thanks very much!!

edited to add: the solution was to install the nvidia drivers as spikoley suggested above (Check under System> Administration> Additional Drivers). I then restarted and Unity is my default.
    Last edited by maestropaolo; May 7th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.