Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ralink 5390 / 11.04 / Compaq presario CQ56

Beans

Re: Ralink 5390 / 11.04 / Compaq presario CQ56

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Well, you didn't read the file conspicuously named README? You didn't follow directions and it doesn't work as expected??

Do not copy and paste anything. Go into the config.mk file and with a text editor, change the lines:to read like this:Everything else in the file is unchanged. Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor. Now we re-compile. In a terminal, please do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO_GPL
    Substitute the location you downloaded the file if not desktop.
    Code:
    sudo su
    rmmod -f rt5390sta
    make clean
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt5390sta
    exit
    Any improvement?
    it work !!! thanks and sorry for all the trouble

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ralink 5390 / pinguy 11.04 / hp pavilion g6

Hi, i hope this is the right place for posting this.

just bought a new hp pavilion g6, did a clean install (using entire disk), of pinguy 11.04 (so, that's all i have in this machine - no windows). everything works fine except for the wifi.
    did a search, found out this "lspci" command and this thread.
    i am really slow at ubuntu or tech stuff and have already disintegrated (aka threw it out the window) one old laptop trying to fix old problems with natty grub, kernel, etc. my bad. i really don't know much about terminal and stuff, but i can follow and copy paste.

so, this is my lspci output:

supermiao@supermeow-rebirth2011:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. Device 5390
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
    03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5209 (rev 01)
    supermiao@supermeow-rebirth2011:~$

i tried "install additional drivers" and the result was "there are no proprietary drivers in use on this computer" wow.

then i went on http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2, downloaded the first file on the list (named there: RT539xPCIe), so now i have it on my desktop (it looks like some sort of archive, the name is: 2011_0406_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO_GPL .bz2)

i have no idea how to unpack it, nor use it.

you experts probably know this already, but just in case: pinguy has this application called "windows wireless drivers" which i think would help a newbie to install this file.... if only i knew how.
    when i open the application, it asks me to browse my hard disk for an "inf" file. no clue what that would mean.

any help (monkey-proof instructions, please, i barely know what a terminal looks like) is greatly appreciated.

cheers

Beans
    Distro

ps: don't know if it is clear already, but i'm a running on x86-64 system

thx again for any help

Beans

in many other forums; folks would say:

this is a new topic;

start a new topic;

this was about helping another person; who seems to have got tired;

also: go back to post #22 on this thread; and read from there;

your wireless device does not work out of the box;

you will need to be able to follow instructions; detailed instructions;

how does that seem ..........

and perhaps read up on the tasks that you face might be starters for you; not an easy road ahead
    Last edited by pdc; August 10th, 2011 at 02:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Kernel 3.0.8+ has native support for the chipset now. So if anyone wants to update their kernel instead of patching they can.

Also for those who don't want to update their kernel, RaLink has updated their driver software and it works (I've tested it on by 64bit Kubuntu) after making it, so also no patching necessary!

- Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans
    Distro

@pdc, thanks for the reply. again, i am sorry i posted this here... i thought it was the right thing to do, but hey, what do i know, i am a newbie. i'll read from post 22 and if i don't get it....i will try asking somewhere else.

@ red: thanks for the reply as well, unfortunately i have no idea how to update the kernel and what else (and how) i should update with it (grub? whole system? reinstall? again, i am such a clueless newbie, sorry). also... the only stuff i could see on the ralink webiste is the package i downloaded.... which sits on my desktop cuz i don't know how to use it. if you know where i can find the new one, please let me know.

Beans

so assuming you have installed a 32bit system?

you need to do at least several things

1) open a terminal and copy and paste this command

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    then from here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1645716

and the details of that seem to be

Download the driver from ralinktech.com --> Software --> Linux
    Unzip the download zip file anywhere. I did it in the default Downloads directory
    cd to the 2010_xxx extracted directory
    cd os/linux/
    Edit the config.mk file as below:
    HAS_ATE=y (no change, it was originally as is)
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y (no change, it was originally as is)
    HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y originally was n -- this was the only thing I modified)
    Go back to the 2010_xx directory
    run command 'make'
    Make sure 'make compile' exists without errors. I got an error "too many arguments to format" towards the end of the compile but it did compile successfully eventually. And so I ignored the errors. You would see ***errors*** if the compile is not successful. In which, something went wrong and you may need to tweak the makefile or config.mk files before compile is successful.
    run command 'make install' as root. This is not listed in the README_STA_pci file that comes with downloaded driver zip file. This takes of copying the file to /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko. running depmod, creating /etc/Wireless/... folder.
    Edit the /etc/modules and add the line at the end of this file
    rt5390sta
    Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the below line to it...
    blacklist rt2800pci
    Reboot and you should see an ra0 interface when you run the command 'ifconfig'
    You may have to run '/etc/init.d/network-manager restart' command to have it show in the first go.
    Once, the wireless icon shows up, look for your wireless SSID and there you go surfing
    if you have not done terminal entry work in linux before, each of the first few steps will take a few explanations ....... the above is a proficient operator who can quickly talk about unzipping files etc

Beans

if wireless is important to you supermeow;

perhaps simplest to install the 3.0 kernel

go here

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2011...nel-30-on.html

it tells you how

go here

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.0.1-oneiric/

and download the three files he says: assuming you are 32bit

copy and paste the commands in the order he says:

should be fine;

you will have your existing kernel already there; to reboot with if any hiccups

this would be much simpler than talking you through endless linux commands

Beans
    Distro

thanks a million, Pdc.
    i do have a 64bit operating system though, i think i mentioned in a "ps:" to my initial post.
    anyhow... would any of these instructions be valid for my system as well?

cheers

Beans

configure Ralink 5390 / 11.04 /

as you have a 64bit system, you need those files

If I alter the commands so they should work for you

from here

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2011...nel-30-on.html

it should (for 64bit) read

Download the following deb files from : http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa.../v3.0-oneiric/

linux-headers-3.0.0-0300_3.0.0-0300.201107220917_all.deb
    linux-headers-3.0.0-0300-generic_3.0.0-0300.201107220917_amd64.deb
    linux-image-3.0.0-0300-generic_3.0.0-0300.201107220917_amd64.deb
    and the second part should read

Open up the terminal and type following command to install above deb files (here order of installation is VERY important)

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.0.0-0300_3.0.0-0300.201107220917_all.deb linux-headers-3.0.0-0300-generic_3.0.0-0300.201107220917_amd64.deb linux-image-3.0.0-0300-generic_3.0.0-0300.201107220917_amd64.deb
    I would suggest you copy and paste the command above that is highlighted in bold

you say you have a new system; seems reasonable to get this right now; linux is for adults, so you are changing your system

the link again for where you are getting these from is

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3.0.1-oneiric/

so if you download them to your Downloads directory;

if you open a terminal

type

ls
    hit ENTER ls=list

Hopefully you will see a Downloads directory listed

type

cd Downloads
    .. (cd means change directory); if you see that directory there in the ls command and the spelling is correct .. hit ENTER

type

ls
    (ls=list)

if you see your three files, you are in the right directory to enter the sudo command listed above: the system will ask you for your sudo password;

if all goes well, and you reboot;

you should see an option to select the 3.0.1 kernel

(and below that your older kernel ......2.6.38 or whatever) so that is a built-in fall back position

the 3.0 should boot by default now;

and you should be able to configure your wireless we hope
    Last edited by pdc; August 10th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345