Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

Nice solution ager-wick,

I got the same error from the boot partition being full.

In the past I have free'd up some space, by manually deleted images or moving them out of the boot partition, but using apt-get to remove them seems much better.

When I checked the images I had, still had a lot of 2.6.28 and 2.6.31 images, which I got rid of.

I still have about 15 2.6.32 images which I should clear out at some point, but getting rid of the oldest ones free'd up enough space for the system to boot again.

Beans

Red face Re: kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

One simpler solution
    If you use grub before grub2, go in /boot/grub/device map : change (hd0) /dev/hda in /dev/sda
    and so on for hd1
    go in /boot/grub/menu.lst : change every line which contains hda1 in sda1 , and so on, save the file

This solution comes from using vmlinuz in Puppy 4.3.1 which works with sda and PartedMaic which works with hda
    when configuring by grubconfig so When I restart the linux Puppy I got the error message
    You can also change these values when entering "e" on grub line at boot

It was a pleasure and no reinstall neither kernel version in my case

Beans

Re: kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

Sorry to keep this going, but I'm having the same issue as above, I checked the disk usage and its on the order of 8% used for the boot drive.

I did the boot info scrypt, and I that I have no grub.

Here is a link to the full results file (no sign in required): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7y...it?usp=sharing

On the top it says this:

=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
    => No known boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

I've been in grub, so its there, why isn't it showing up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12