Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweaking Gnome3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Tweaking Gnome3

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit with Gnome3. Is it possible to make the following changes to Gnome3:

1. Change the Date and Time appearance to reflect "Friday May 06 13:32" rather than "Fri 13:32"?

2. Include Date and Time of other cities (other time zones)?

3. Have Cairo-Dock start automatically? As Gnome3 doesn't have a "taskbar" and also no maximize-minimize buttons its hard to keep track of windows. So I decided to use Cairo Dock, but I can't figure out how to start it by default -- there is no "startup programs" application anymore it seems.

4. Change the theme in gnome 3? I followed the instructions on http://danodymake.deviantart.com/#/d3fkpe9, but the newly placed theme does not show up in gnome-tweak-tool.

I'll use this thread to ask more questions about Gnome3 in future. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by maverick280857; May 6th, 2011 at 09:33 AM.

Beans

Re: Tweaking Gnome3

Hi,

1. use gnome-tweak-tool, there goto shell -> show date in clock

2. sorry don't know, is it even possible?

3. type gnome-session-properties in a terminal to see the startup applications. You can also bring back the minimize/maximize buttons with the gnome-tweak-tool if you like.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by -unseen- View Post
    Hi,

1. use gnome-tweak-tool, there goto shell -> show date in clock

2. sorry don't know, is it even possible?

3. type gnome-session-properties in a terminal to see the startup applications. You can also bring back the minimize/maximize buttons with the gnome-tweak-tool if you like.
    Thanks for 1 & 3! What do you think about 4?

As for 2, I guess its not possible anymore.

Beans

I'm not sure on the theme. I guess you need the gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme.deb, which can be found here http://cid-32ec6e89f4aa803b.office.l...wse.aspx/Linux . It's not in the ppa so far. Once it is installed, in gnome-tweak-tool there is a new option for a user theme. I got it to select the new theme, but it didn't get applied for some reason ...

Beans

I am just going through a clean install of Gnome3 / Gnome Shell here with all the latest updates included. LINK
    go to page 2 for the Themes ..... all the work here is on a 64 bit system too.

1 ......Themes I have set up and show which files you need and where to put them.
    2 ......Cairo-dock I have already set up and show how,

To get cairo-dock running
    alt+f2 cairo-dock
    once cairo-dock is running goto
    Applications menu (on the left side of cairo-dock) >>> Preferences >>> Startup Applications.
    add a launcher with the command cairo-dock

3 ......Times and Dates Month can be shown using conky .... plus other useful info too.

Hope this helps in some way ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 6th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys. I'll check out the link in a bit.

Conky doesn't load on my system.

And I don't see "Startup Applications" on the Preferences menu in Cairo-Dock. But "gnome-session-properties" did the trick.

When I try to install unseen's deb file, I get the following error message:

"The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath."

"Lintian check results for /tmp/gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme_3.0.0-6.6_all.deb:
    E: gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme: maintainer-address-malformed Charles Bowman <chuck@Gnome-3>
    "
    Last edited by maverick280857; May 6th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    [/B]LINK
    go to page 2 for the Themes ..... all the work here is on a 64 bit system too.

1 ......Themes I have set up and show which files you need and where to put them.
    When I unzip the contents of themeselector into $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell and reboot the system, I am unable to boot into GNOME 3. I get an error message saying that something bad has happened and I have to log out. The situation is remedied only by deleting the themeselector files from the abovementioned directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by maverick280857 View Post
    When I unzip the contents of themeselector into $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell and reboot the system, I am unable to boot into GNOME 3. I get an error message saying that something bad has happened and I have to log out. The situation is remedied only by deleting the themeselector files from the abovementioned directory.
    I have the same problems.

Beans

Interesting :-

I have them running ........ and have not seen an error message .......

and the THEMES are working ..... on both my 32 bit and 64 bit systems ......

LAUNCHPAD BUG ( Themeselector not working )

I know in the UGR team they were going to include them as standard as it solved the problem ..... this has maybe been done now ..... and they are maybe doing checks to make sure their own versions are
    being loaded now.

Ok If they are causing problems now I will add a warning to check for them - as they may already be installed.

@ maverick280857

Conky doesn't load on my system.
    What errors do you get back when you run the command

conky

from a terminal window

ALSO

And I don't see "Startup Applications" on the Preferences menu in Cairo-Dock. But "gnome-session-properties" did the trick.
    Startup applications is in mine - but I have a lot of things loaded maybe it does not come as standard

@ jjcv

Do you have the option for themes in the window .... as shown below ...

( after moving the cursor into the top left corner of the screen in Gnome-shell )

The THEMES and the instructions for getting them working if not can be found here MUSINGS THEME SELECTOR

Check above just in-case it is already loaded up now after the updates ..... as the only thing you need are the Themes then ...... which are shown and included in the link above .....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 7th, 2011 at 02:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I will check out your links in a bit. But right now, I am having difficulty with NetworkManager. It seems to have disappeared altogether, and I have no network in Ubuntu. Any ideas on how to fix it?

It seems the network manager service is running, but the icon isn't in the identification area, and the wireless network is also inactive.

EDIT: SOLVED
    Reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1751436
    Last edited by maverick280857; May 7th, 2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: SOLVED

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast