Thread: Can I install virtualbox on windows xp?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Can I install virtualbox on windows xp?

I have never used VirtualBox before. But a friend wants me to install VirtualBox on his Windows XP machine, so he can try Ubuntu. While installing VirtualBox (on Windows XP), I encountered a warning stating that "The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatability with Windows XP". My questions are: Should I ignore this warning? Is it safe to install and run VirtualBox on Windows XP. Have you installed Virtualbox on a computer running Windows XP. Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can I install virtualbox on windows xp?

I don't know what you downloaded or where you downloaded it from. I can't recommend trusting the software.

The Windows Logo testing dialog would be a normal warning when installing uncertified drivers on Windows. VirtualBox does include drivers needed for (IIRC) directing network and USB access toward virtual machines. I would expect to see such a warning dialog when installing Virtualbox.

Having said all that, I know that I used Virtualbox on Windows for years with no trouble.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I've run it on XP and Vista with no problems. I never got that dialog box before. Did you download from the Virtualbox website?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    I've run it on XP and Vista with no problems. I never got that dialog box before. Did you download from the Virtualbox website?
    Had you disabled signature checking?

@OP, did you check your downloaded file against the MD5 and SHA256 hashes provided on the VirtualBox Downloads page?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded from http://www.virtualbox.org/; it seems like the right place. I'm surprized that no one else has (so far) encounter the same warning. But I don't think that I want to disable anything on someone elses computer. I'll check back later. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jfloydb View Post
    But I don't think that I want to disable anything on someone elses computer.
    Nor should you.

So did you check the hash of the downloaded file or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jfloydb View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I downloaded from http://www.virtualbox.org/; it seems like the right place. I'm surprized that no one else has (so far) encounter the same warning. But I don't think that I want to disable anything on someone elses computer. I'll check back later. Thanks again.
    If you know you are on a safe site, then go ahead. It's not like windows has a package manager to download stuff. Last time I checked, you either download your apps or use an install cd for windows. And yes, virtualbox.org is the right place.

But on a side note, I had to use my windows 7 install that I use just for games, as my main OS for a couple days because my ubuntu drive died. Anyway, being in windows for me is like a fish out of water. I installed vbox in windows and installed ubuntu as a guest. Mind you, until this point, my win7 install worked perfectly with games and what ever else I did with it. But it choked on vbox. I have a pretty darn nice computer and windows couldn't handle it. I can run 2 guest OS's at the same time in linux with nary a hiccup. Anyway....
    Last edited by wolfen69; May 7th, 2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: because I can