Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memory leak in 11.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Memory leak in 11.04?

I've seen a compiz rise every time I open a new window/menu, or it's been setting till it's taking up 5.17% of my RAM, 3.87 Gigs of 4.0 DDR3 SD 133Mhz x10s with a Nvidia GTS 250 1.0 Gig VRAM Dual DVI. Only let the system run for three or four days at max, thanks to switching to Windows for some of my games.

Beans

[QUOTE=

This morning I applied 34 updates and now the machine is almost useless. After booting up, I have maybe 3 or 4 mouse clicks before it slows down to a halt. Eventually, even the cursor disappears. The only thing I can see is the HD activity light will quickly blink about every 2-3 seconds. Classic mode, and Classic with no effects doesn't help. I'm not sure if todays updates are the cause, but that is when I first had the trouble.

Wayne

Edit: I just booted into recovery mode and am running the machine in "FailsafeX" mode. Seems to be clicking right along with no problems at all. System monitor does not show any increase in memory usage in the 30 minutes or so that it has been running.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem wherein memory started leaking very quickly after the first batch of updates. I updated to the latest kernel (.39) and turned off compiz (sudo apt-get install unity-2d) and smooth sailing so far.

Beans

I was curious if anyone had any success with their memory issues? It appears natty has a constellation of issues. The biggest culprits appear to be e-calendar-factory and compiz.

And this just isn't on older hardware. I've got an 8GB i7 and this morning I came into e-calendar-factory hogging 4.7GB. Seriously? Overnight? I'm having to do daily, sometime twice daily reboots due to this problem.

I just ripped off evolution to see if that will kill e-calendar once and for all. Not sure what it took with it, but it's got to go. I have to work.

Jim

Beans

I am seeing evolution balloon to just under 2 GB of ram overnight. I only have 2 GB of ram in this machine so that is not good.

Any fixes for this? Other than removing evolution?

I just updated to 11.04 figuring all the bugs would be worked out by now. I also switched immediately to ubuntu classic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elj4176 View Post
    I am seeing evolution balloon to just under 2 GB of ram overnight. I only have 2 GB of ram in this machine so that is not good.

Any fixes for this? Other than removing evolution?

I just updated to 11.04 figuring all the bugs would be worked out by now. I also switched immediately to ubuntu classic.

11.04 seems to be better. I did pull evolution in favor of Thunderbird and lightning, which BTW is much less buggy.

Java and compiz are still hogging resources. This is getting to be ridiculous. I feel like I'm playing digital whack-a-mole.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123