Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeNAS. Openfiler. What is optimal?

Beans

FreeNAS. Openfiler. What is optimal?

I've been tinkering with both recently to see what can suit my needs as a simple raid1 mirrored backup server. I used FreeNAS for all but minutes before I had a raid1 array running and shares set up through CIFS. Using Ubuntu on my laptop I was able to see them as well. I had some more figuring out to do, as I wanted each share to be blocked off from the other. aka - I didn't want "fred" to be able to access "bob's" share.

So then I move on to Openfiler to check it out. I hear it's simpler. It's web interface, while no doubt much slower than FreeNAS, was easy to mingle around. At first glance, I thought I'd like it more.

I began to set up my raid1 array. After realizing the final release I was dealing with had a bug, I found some commands to run in a root shell to fix. Okay, so now we're moving along... raid1 array created. Then I had to create a volume group. Then a volume. Then shares. And I still don't have it running over cifs.

So I'm a little confused now, because guides I read comparing the two said they were both VERY easy to use.

Has anybody here used both that they can fill in some blanks for me? I'm curious if FreeNAS by nature is truly simpler to set up raid array's with, or if maybe I'm just totally misunderstanding Openfiler and that be the reason why I'm thinking this.

If anybody can fill in the blanks, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: FreeNAS. Openfiler. What is optimal?

I've used freenas over the past year. I have it running on a Pentium 1 white box, overclocked to 188 MHz. It has 256 MB of RAM (maxed out). I'm running version 0.7.2 Version 0.8 is in beta and it's a complete rewrite using a database model to store settings instead of configuration files. So I would stick with 0.7.2 if you want full functionality. 0.8 may take a year or so to catch up.

I haven't used Openfiler so I can't comment. Freenas is rock solid. It has built-in UPS support so you can plug in an UPS and it will shutdown when the power goes out--gracefully. It also has a mini package system that allows you to install packages for more functionality. I haven't done that yet, but it's there for tinkering.

Freenas does the file sharing quite well. Easy to use is relative. It's easier to set up than a full-blown Ubuntu server. It's easy to migrate between computers. You can load your freenas configuration onto a USB disk, move it to another computer (built the same way) and restart it and all your shares and services continue as before.

You can also run off of a USB disk or CD and run in RAM and store your configuration on a USB disk or floppy. One less disk to fail.

Freenas is a BSD/Unix variant--stripped down to the bare minimum. So there are subtle differences between linux and freenas commands and procedures. There's an extensive freenas forum and several guides and blogs on the web on how to set it up. You have to spend some time reading to really appreciate how compact freenas is for its functionality.

Any aftermarket NAS that you buy will have braindead firmware in it. Unless it's running freenas.

So, yes it's easy, but you have to spend some time to learn it.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

FYI, version 8 was just released. That's what I'm using. I'm unsure of what's different between 7 and 8 but I just stuck with the most recent stable.

I think I may be sticking with FreeNAS, but I just want to hear more about Openfiler because I don't want to choose FreeNAS because I can't get Openfiler working. I want to get them both working and choose accordingly.

So far I just feel like Openfiler is a bit heavy, cumbersome, and has a lot of extra layers with setting up basic settings... moreso than what's needed. But on the flip side, I'm far from an expert, so I'm also taking into account maybe it's just me not understanding what it's underlying reasoning is. Hence, me asking here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You should use 0.7.2 to get full functionality. 8 is pretty, but a lot of stuff still doesn't work or hasn't been added back. It's a complete rewrite, so it's not ripe yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    You should use 0.7.2 to get full functionality. 8 is pretty, but a lot of stuff still doesn't work or hasn't been added back. It's a complete rewrite, so it's not ripe yet.
    Really? 8 sure does work well, though. It seems very feature packed. I wonder what's missing from version 7...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Media streaming.

Beans

Does anybody have anything else to offer about OpenFiler? I've got my FreeNAS box set up in its final stage but now I want to make sure I can get OpenFiler running, as the fact it's Linux based and up my alley really intrigues me to want to use it even more. Can anybody offer some insight with OpenFiler?

Beans

I found that Openfiler was a good start, but it really did not like multiple GbE NICs on different subnets and gave me a lot of trouble when I tried to set it up as an iSCSI SAN.

Using FreeNAS as an iSCSI SAN was also problematic but I knew it probably would be as it did not claim to have a native implementation of iSCSI but it emulates it IIRC.

FreeNAS was definitely easier to set up for Samba and NFS shares though.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans

After some further tinkering, I am sticking with FreeNAS. I feel like I had to fight extensively to make OpenFiler work, and even then I wasn't able to get it working. My frustration began when I found some very well thought out how-to guides and videos. Even following on a fresh install with step by step instructions I wasn't able to duplicate the same results. This was true for the latest 2.99 version as well as their "stable" 2.3 version. Frustrated, I found someone who did manage to use both FreeNAS and OpenFiler extensively, and their opinion was shared by me, that they had to re-do their steps (yet, the same exact steps) 3 or 4 times to get it to play nice. At least by then I felt it wasn't a complete user error. I liked using OpenFiler. Very clean gui, laid out nicely, etc. I just couldn't get the job done with it.

FreeNAS was easier to set up, easier to manage, the web GUI was quicker, and it was more versatile for my needs. The more I use it, the more I love it.

Kudos to OpenFiler's dev team, though. I'm sure they put a lot of work into it. It just wasn't able to produce predictable results for my instance.
    Last edited by Roasted; May 13th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Roasted, didn't know I would find you here as well.
    We have had a production machine out with a client running FreeNAS for about 18 months now without any problem. We can get remote access to the Web GUI, we can ftp into it. It is configured as a single shared directory for Windows Users and I would recommend it.
    Now, Openfiler. We have recently launched a new site called Linuxcomputinguk.co.uk where we are specifically trying to promote Linux products so I thought I really should try and find a Linux NAS server rather than a FreeBSD base and I came across OpenFiler.
    So today I got an install going.
    Using 2.99.1, after doing all the network setup, password etc the system spends 3 minutes (well 2.42 actually) to do the install and then goes away for 10-15 minutes seemingly doing nothing before eventually saying it is ready for a reboot.
    After the reboot I get the web GUI and type in root and my password and get presented with a user account quota page.
    I tried the UK support desk. They were all out at lunch, oh and by the way they do not take phone calls unless you have paid for a support contract. I spoke with sales who said they would put me in touch with the Partner support team. 6 hours later I am still waiting for a response.
    Think I had a bum install I reinstalled. No change. I have now tried 4 installs of 2.99.1 and 2 installs of 2.3. And where am I now, nowhere forward from lunchtime. I even put in a call to the States but still have had no response (except to ask for my contact details which had been at the foot of every email I have sent them).
    In the end I had a look at the install guide on their webpage. I do not expect that after more Linux installs than I care to remember that I should need to look at the install guide. What is it they say, manuals are for those who just can't hack it themselves. Something like that anyway. But right at the bottom of the guide is the gem. Log on as user openfiler, password password. Boy, why can't that be displayed on one of the install screens?
    So I got in to the web gui to set up the system. Can I set up a volume? Can I, hell as like! No volume, no share, no usable system.
    For me it is back to FreeNAS. And just as a final thought. The FreeNAS server we have out in the field has the operating system on a 1 GB memory stick not using up valuable disk space.
    Wait til I get going on our Blog site!
    Mick 'n Keef rock, Chas beats time and Ronnie is the new boy
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast