Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS N53 Laptops, a few issues and some fixes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: ASUS N53 Laptops, a few issues and some fixes.

use the script posted here : https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee it works like a charm, will require you to know how to use the terminal to run your games though.

make sure you run the uninstall script before installing if youve used a old version, that was my problem for a while, now works quite well.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow124 View Post
    use the script posted here : https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee it works like a charm, will require you to know how to use the terminal to run your games though.

make sure you run the uninstall script before installing if youve used a old version, that was my problem for a while, now works quite well.
    Ok, thank you. I just uninstalled Ubuntu on my Netbook, but will try to next time.

Cya!

Beans

How about N53SN??

It has nVidia GeForce GT 550M...

Will X-start?

Beans

I recently bought a Asus N73 (N73SV-V1G-TZ342V) which is basically the same as the N53 except for a bigger screen. If it's possible I would like to expand this topic to also discuss some issues with the Asus N73 series.

I have tried some of the same things as TheShadow124 in his post and some other things not mentioned by him.

The dual graphic cards issue
    I don't know how to verify this but my guess is that the system only uses the Intel card but that the nVidia card is also powered (battery life is much shorter on Ubuntu than on Windows)

The nouveau driver is installed now (but I don't if it is used). When I install de nVidia driver gdm can't start. When I run nvidia-detect nothing is detected. This is my first nVidia card so I don't know what to expect.

Because the nVidia driver doesn't work properly both the asus-switcheroo and bumblebee are not working at the moment. The asus-switcheroo even blacklists the intel en nouveau modules so the screen has no input whatsoever.

USB 3.0
    with lshw, lspci and lsusb I know that the Fresco FL1000G USB 3.0 controller is correctly identified. However, when inserting anything in the USB port there is an error with the Intel PCI Bridge which is the host of the Fresco controller. I haven't found a solution yet, only people with similar problems.

I also didn't have much luck with the mediakeys, some fn keys and bluetooth.

Beans

I've fixed USB 3.0 (Fresco Logic FL1000G) adding this parameter to kernel in the grub menu:

Code:
    pci=nomsi
    then from command line type:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    I've rebooted and usb 3.0 work.
    Last edited by blackmoon105; May 20th, 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Removed "noaer" parameter. From "pci=nomsi,noaer" to "pci=nomsi"

Beans

I have a problem the N53JN which is not mentioned here. My sound only works with headphones, not the speakers. Anybody else have the same problem? Any ideas?

*Found solution in an another post*

In terminal:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Add to the end of the file this line:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto position_fix=0

save&reboot and hopefully the sound now works

P.S.
    For sound on HDMI also add
    options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2
    to the end. I can't test this so if somebody can please report here does this work.
    Last edited by Xero5000; May 19th, 2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Found solution

Beans
    Distro

sorry, been a few days since ive checked back in here, azior, the solution ive posted above for the USB3 ports should work for any motherboard, and still give you use of them. and the solution for the graphics should fix your issue aswell, in all the OPTIMIS laptops the intel card is hardwired to the LCD, and the nvidia card transfers each frame to the intel card to be displayed. Nice idea for allowing you to only run some programs using each card, but this also makes rendering and such more complicated.

Ill edit the main post to include other modules and such in a day or so here, sorry ive been quite busy the last week here.
    Last edited by TheShadow124; May 19th, 2011 at 05:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

im thinking about starting a wiki for linux laptop support useing mediawiki so we can have a place where we all can post our solutions and problems with each laptop. any thoughts? or if such website exists already?
    I own a server I can host it on, just want to know if there is any interest or if anyone thinks it worth it, if nothing like it exists already.
    Last edited by TheShadow124; May 19th, 2011 at 05:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow124 View Post
    im thinking about starting a wiki for linux laptop support useing mediawiki so we can have a place where we all can post our solutions and problems with each laptop. any thoughts? or if such website exists already?
    I own a server I can host it on, just want to know if there is any interest or if anyone thinks it worth it, if nothing like it exists already.
    Starting a wiki is a good idea, i was thinking the same thing just yesterday. I don't have found nothing of similar in the web.

Beans

So would you recommend that(N53/73) laptop for linux ?

I need something fast and it is the cheapest.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast