Thread: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

I just ordered an Asus eeepc 1215b with the AMD E-350 fusion and was wondering if anyone has had any success with Ubuntu on this netbook?

AMD Fusion APU E350 1.6GHz (dual core)
    AMD® Radeon HD 6250/AMD® Radeon HD 6310

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Re: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Well, I took the plunge with the 1215b and everything seems to work great except for the sleep...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi,

I have also been trying to install Ubuntu onto a 1215B. This is my first time ever using anything Linux so I have been having lots of "fun." I was attempting to dual boot with windows 7 but I didn't really like the way it was installing onto ntfs so I am installing on the second partition with ext4. I am also going to try the 32bit instead of the 64bit. I have 6GB of ram but I doubt I really need that much for what I am doing but the stock 2GB was (and never will be since vista) enough for windows.

I also have the issue with the sleep not working where the only way to get the computer back on is to unplug the battery. I would have thought holding down the power button would do the trick but it still wants to try to come out of sleep when I power it back on. Isn't that a firmware design that should not be overridden?

The other little issue is the sound is set to max when the OS first boots up no matter what the setting was when I powered down but than goes back to normal once logged in.

Something very strange I want to test is the graphics drivers. When the drivers were not installed the computer seemed extremely fast when scrolling through windows. After the driver was enabled it became choppy.

The main reason I am switching to Ubuntu is to program for Android. The laptop does not seem to have enough power to run the emulator correctly in windows. Since the Android OS is based off Linux I am hoping it will not take as much CPU power to keep it stable.

I will keep you posted on any thing new I figure out, like new bugs or fixes to those bugs.

-Will

Beans
    Distro

I installed the driver from ATI's website, and it seems to be working.

About the sleep issue, I haven't updated to the new BIOS yet, I will try it tonight and report back.

Beans

I got an Asus 1215B coming in tomorrow as well, I am very excited. So I am assuming by saying everything except sleep working means that sound, webcam, wireless lan, and proper video configuration is working? and playing back 1080P smooth?
    Last edited by SickNick; May 9th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Beans

I gave it back a week ago. There was no possibility to get suspend properly working. Disabling C6 in BIOS seems to make it a little more reliable, but the screen keeps still black on around 50% of tries.

Because suspend is an important feature for me, I swapped it with the 1215P. It's a pity because the AMD E-350 is much better (faster CPU, HDMI, better graphics..) than the Intel Atom N570 (DualCore).

With the 1215P everything works great out of the box. Jupiter makes it even better.

Edit: The newest BIOS did NOT fix the issues!