Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Beans

Re: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Wish I found this thread before I bought my Asus Eee PC 1215B. I've used Ubuntu 11.04 and everything was ok until I noticed sleep mode didn't work and other small annoying problems. Installed Ubuntu 10.10 but that was even worse! Didn't find my wireless broadcom card.

So, anyone got 11.04 to work well with Asus 1215b?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'd say i got it to work fairly well: everything works except for the sleep. My fix so far has been to replace the sleep function for the "hibernate" or whatever its called that powers it down. Minor video issues but a restart always solves the problem when things go bad. No sound through HDMI though... Dual screen works good though through both vga and hdmi both in extend and duplicate functions. Id say the sleep annoyance is not that big of a dealbreaker for buying this laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lakerssuperman View Post
    If you want something that works right now you could look for a netbook with NVIDIA ION in it. It would only have an Intel Atom CPU and wouldn't be able to do much in the way of heavy lifting tasks like video editing, the ION graphics chip would be able to play back 1080p video through VDPAU. Though VDPAU seems iffy in 11.04 10.10 worked fine for me and should be able to run on one of these. I would run 10.10 on the 1215B but it's too new and the wireless doesn't work out of the box without updating the kernel and related firmware packages.

http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1201N.../dp/B002ZLOR56

Something like this would work. It's basically the Intel/NVIDIA version of the 1215b.
    I'm looking for a netook and have come to the same conclusion. We have an older Acer Aspire 1410. Everything works with Ubuntu desktop 10.10, although I haven't tried the webcam. Sound, wireless WPA2, all solid and no configuration needed. The AMD E350 seems really nice, but I'm going to wait a little longer.

Beans

If anyone is still struggling with sound problems, I don't know what exactly did the trick or if both, but try flashing to the latest bios and picking up the restricted drivers.

Beans

Problems/not working things found on my 1215B so far:

1) switch user not working
    -> When I try to switch user from the "power button" dialog (upper right corner), the 1215B goes to black screen. Can still be used "blindly", i.e. keyboard and mouse still work.
    reason: I suspect the graphics driver (AMD proprietary installed)
    Solution: None found so far. Hope this gets better with Ubuntu 11.10 or next driver version

2) skype audio not working
    -> Output is distorted, input (internal mic) not working occasionally.
    reason: known skype w/ pulseaudio bug
    solution: remove pulse audio and replace with alsa (not confirmed, yet to try)

3) sometimes does not power off
    -> after shutting down from the shutdown menu, the 1215B occasionally does not turn off. Either the ubuntu shutdown screen remains or the terminal.
    reason: not known.
    solution: not known. I will try to find/file a bug in Launchpad

Thats all from me so far,

any comments welcome

Regards,
    bosserer
    Last edited by bosserer; June 27th, 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Beans

Everything working here except for sleep.
    I did sound through HDMI with no issues. You just have to change the output in the sound settings so it is on HDMI and it works right away. I honestly have no issues with the 1215b at all except sleep, which is not that serious to me. Also the AMD fusion chip is officially supported/optimized in Kernel 3.0 so well see it soon enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bosserer View Post
    Problems/not working things found on my 1215B so far:

3) sometimes does not power off
    -> after shutting down from the shutdown menu, the 1215B occasionally does not turn off. Either the ubuntu shutdown screen remains or the terminal.
    reason: not known.
    solution: not known. I will try to find/file a bug in Launchpad

Thats all from me so far,

any comments welcome

Regards,
    bosserer
    Rest assured the last one is not hardware specific. Happened on my original Atom netbook occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by SickNick View Post
    Everything working here except for sleep.
    I did sound through HDMI with no issues. You just have to change the output in the sound settings so it is on HDMI and it works right away. I honestly have no issues with the 1215b at all except sleep, which is not that serious to me. Also the AMD fusion chip is officially supported/optimized in Kernel 3.0 so well see it soon enough.
    As said before, turning off C6 in the BIOS CPU configurations fixes the sleep issues. So the only letdowns with this laptop are plymouth, VAAPI and user switching.

Beans

Well, I've just got this eee and decided to try Arch Linux on it. I know that here you're trying to get it working in ubuntu but I thought I just let you know you can have VLC-VAAPI working flawlessly in the latest Arch.

You just need to recompile ffmpeg with --enable-vaapi and install vlc (normal package from extra without any further patches).
    After I couldn't get it working in mplayer which was crashing all the time I was actually quite surprised to see this doing its job right after the first start without any complaints.
    Last edited by Nohajc; July 4th, 2011 at 10:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nohajc View Post
    Well, I've just got this eee and decided to try Arch Linux on it. I know that here you're trying to get it working in ubuntu but I thought I just let you know you can have VLC-VAAPI working flawlessly in the latest Arch.

You just need to recompile ffmpeg with --enable-vaapi and install vlc (normal package from extra without any further patches).
    After I couldn't get it working in mplayer which was crashing all the time I was actually quite surprised to see this doing its job right after the first start without any complaints.
    How did you get --enable-vaapi to work? When I tried compiling with the latest git repositories, it gave me "ERROR: vaapi not found".
    Thank you in advance!

Beans

Well, you need packages libva and xvba-video (from AUR).
    And don't forget to use ATI's proprietary driver catalyst in order to get this working.

With these, you shouldn't have any trouble...
    Last edited by Nohajc; July 7th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast