Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

I am investigating a new version of livba 1.0.14 that hit the repo today. It worked with the NVIDIA backend for VAAPI. I am setting up 11.04 on one of my Radeon Cards and I will report back.

Also, I am running Ubuntu 11.10 alpha on my 1215b and suspend seems to work now. The FGLRX driver doesn't work currently on 11.10 so I can't test the acceleration feature as yet.

Beans
    Distro

After just giving it a go with my Radeon 4870 and the latest FGLRX drivers, sadly I have to report that it still does not work. XBMC crashes as soon as a video is loaded. At this point I just want to throw all my ATI/AMD stuff in the garbage. It is maddening. AMD drivers continue to be awful. They don't work properly with anything.

I say this out of frustration because I like their hardware and want to support the company and use their stuff, but this makes it really hard to do.

In my little Linux dream world, I wish they would straighten out their tear free desktop performance issues and just give it up and support VDPAU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SickNick View Post
    I installed the latest drivers from the ATI website and this did not solve the issues when playing back high definition video. Is there any solution for this?
    I've been running 720p DVD rips without a problem. Have you tried disabling syncing to VBlank in compiz and then enabling tear-free in the ATI Catalyst Control Center?

I am guessing syncing to VBlank is a crude alternative to the tear-free desktop in the Catalyst Control Center.

Beans

Question Re: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

hi everyone!

i'm planning to buy this netbook soon, but i really need it to run ubuntu without noticeable issues... as far as i could see right here, the following things have some trouble:

• sound
    • touchpad
    • sleep

can anyone confirm this and expand the list if necessary?
    i guess i can live with a buggy sleep, but sound and touchpad are crucial for me. does anyone know if these issues can be definitely solved?

thanks in advance!!

Beans
    Distro

I am currently running the latest 11.10 alpha on my 1215b. Touch, sound and sleep all work. Performance is also much improved over 11.04. I haven't gotten to test whether VAAPI acceleration works as of yet. 11.10 is obviously not production ready but will be coming out in about 2 months which is not ideal but may help you in your decision.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't have any netbooks, but from the architect it seems similar to that of a notebook and I wouldn't change anything to further complicate things so I would think that ubuntu 11.04 would workout just fine for those and if you are having issues with sleep, there are forums posted on writing or changing the script.

Beans

I got mine 1215b working with natty fine, the only issue I have is that sometimes it doesn't boot. When I power it on, after splash screen I see just a cursor blinking. It's very strange but removing the battery solves the issue. Any ideas why?

PS: For those of you who have trouble with video acceleration, follow this guide

PS2: to get flash acceleration working, create directory /etc/adobe and write this to to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg:
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    edit: looks like it doesn't work with this either

PS3: updating the bios made the netbook feel kinda faster
    Last edited by lazmd; September 1st, 2011 at 01:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

That guide got VAAPI working on my 4870. Nice work. Hopefully in the future this will be as simple as installing VDPAU and we won't have need to manually add things to get acceleration, but for now this is a great step in the right direction. Now hopefully Adobe will release Flash with VAAPI acceleration.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lakerssuperman View Post
    That guide got VAAPI working on my 4870. Nice work. Hopefully in the future this will be as simple as installing VDPAU and we won't have need to manually add things to get acceleration, but for now this is a great step in the right direction. Now hopefully Adobe will release Flash with VAAPI acceleration.
    Thanks, I wrote it myself.

About the simplicity of the setup, I heard that vaapi will be included by default in oneiric.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lazmd View Post
    I got mine 1215b working with natty fine, the only issue I have is that sometimes it doesn't boot. When I power it on, after splash screen I see just a cursor blinking. It's very strange but removing the battery solves the issue. Any ideas why?

PS: For those of you who have trouble with video acceleration, follow this guide

PS2: to get flash acceleration working, create directory /etc/adobe and write this to to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg:
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    edit: looks like it doesn't work with this either

PS3: updating the bios made the netbook feel kinda faster
    Thanks for the video acceleration guide, but I can't find xvba-video in that new repository, and when I look in that repo manually with a browser here http://ppa.launchpad.net/rexbron/bug.../x/xvba-video/ I see some tarballs for xvba-video but no debian package.

I guess I'll try installing the tarball instead, but I just thought I'd let you know that the deb is missing

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast