Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 11.04 on an Asus 1215b?

I just bought the 1215B. At first it would not boot off my USB drive. I updated the Bios to the latest version on the Asus website and tried again. It booted fine. When Unity came up I had 3D with the open source drivers and could connect to the WIFI without any issues. I didn't test the sound or much else but the basics worked. When my SSD drive comes in tomorrow I am going to install Ubuntu on it and really test it out. I was having issues getting VAAPI working on 11.04 but it was working on 10.04 so I will see as the E-350 APU really needs this to reach maximum potential.

Beans
    Distro

I received my SSD in the mail yesterday and managed to get Ubuntu 11.04 running on it. It would not install and boot straight away with 11.04. I had to install 10.10 and then upgrade to 11.04 to get it to work. Everything pretty much works hibernate doesn't for some reason, but if you disable C6 in the bios suspend does. VAAPI is still broken in 11.04 so no accelerated video playback yet. The other thing I found surprising was how sluggish Compiz feels at some points when running Unity. Windows 7 was snappy and smooth but Unity drags a little but. Hopefully as they work on it more it will smooth out. Battery life was solid and didn't differ much from Windows, even with reported kernel power management bug. The other hardware quirk I found was that the built in Broadcom driver functions much better than the proprietary driver that Jockey wants to install.

For everyday tasks it's more than adequate and is extremely light and portable.

I'll be interested to see how things work when VAAPI gets fixed and Flash 10.4 gets released with VAAPI support.

Beans

lakerssuperman - or others. Thanks for all the info. Any update on this effort? Thanks again...

Beans
    Distro

I've got most of
    the functionality working . Video acceleration is still a no go. Ill keep reporting back as anything new develops.

Beans

L-man - mucho thanks again for the input.

I spent a -lot- of time trying to get stuff working, installed Ubuntu, mint 11; used W7 for a while etc. But I finally sent machine back to Amazon (Thanks Amazon). I tried hard but failed to get past the VERY NARROW viewing angle of the display.

Beans

I can't seem to install Ubuntu 11.04 64bit or 32bit on my Asus 1215B red.

I can successfully go into the Live CD, but whenever I try to install, the installation works until the part where the message says it's installing the GRUB2 bootloader, along the lines of that. I get this screen when trying to install the 64bit version:
    http://i55.tinypic.com/23jft6o.jpg
    http://i53.tinypic.com/24pyzcx.jpg

Whenever I try to boot into Ubuntu 11.04 32bit, the screen only stays at the Syslinux and some other information after it; the screen that appears first when you boot into it. The screen just stays like that.

I even tried Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and it also stays at the Syslinux screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I've tried reinstalling GRUB 2 from the link that viol8r provided on the first page, but it still won't boot. I always get:
    Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.
    Last edited by lilkidz; June 5th, 2011 at 05:01 AM.

Beans

I remember my grub install hanging when booting in UEFI mode. Couldn't get windows to use UEFI either. Your screen shot includes efimanager tainted so it's probably the same issue.

I installed by booting into the livecd environment in BIOS mode, then running install.

To use bios mode, press <esc> at boot, which should bring up a boot menu with two entries for you usb stick. Select the one saying BIOS or the not which does not say UEFI.

I'm running 64 bit 11.04 and win 7.

An update to earlier posts:
    Sound is again working. Don't recall updating to fix it, but it did crash from sleep since. IF my sound breaks again, I'll make it sleep crash as a 1st step. Sleep is also broken with windows so not only a linux issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I can report success w/11.04 64Bit. I do recall an error first time through installing via usb @ grub install. However, restarted the install and all was good.

I am a bit buggered about the sleep mode. I am interested in any progress or reference on this topic.

Otherwise it's a sweet machine! I was running ArcLinux on it with gnome3 but the synaptic drive was awful. So back to good ol Ubuntu for this machine.

Any tips on sleep get great karma in return!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by noobie1 View Post
    I remember my grub install hanging when booting in UEFI mode. Couldn't get windows to use UEFI either. Your screen shot includes efimanager tainted so it's probably the same issue.

I installed by booting into the livecd environment in BIOS mode, then running install.

To use bios mode, press <esc> at boot, which should bring up a boot menu with two entries for you usb stick. Select the one saying BIOS or the not which does not say UEFI.

I'm running 64 bit 11.04 and win 7.

An update to earlier posts:
    Sound is again working. Don't recall updating to fix it, but it did crash from sleep since. IF my sound breaks again, I'll make it sleep crash as a 1st step. Sleep is also broken with windows so not only a linux issue.
    I'll try what you posted.

Off-topic
    Now about sleep being broken in Windows. If you are using realtek, disable realtek in the start-up tab in the window of msconfig; opening it by typing msconfig in the run window (Win+R). It should work by disabling the realtek in the start-up tab in msconfig. And then restarting. Worked for me.

Edit: I tried booting to the LiveCD using the one that doesn't have UEFI in the beginning, however, the screen just stays on the Syslinux screen. It's only when I use the UEFI usb can I boot into the menu of trying it out, installing ubuntu and the third option.
    Last edited by lilkidz; June 6th, 2011 at 01:22 AM.

Beans

Lilkidz,

I recommend you start a new thread to resolve your problem; "hijacking" another thread is generally considered bad form, and it can get very confusing trying to resolve two problems in a single thread.

That said, you may want to try ELILO rather than GRUB 2; in my experience, GRUB 2 on UEFI systems is barely functional and very trouble-prone. See my post (#5) in this thread.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast