Thread: Mplayer - how to "sharpen" vids like VLC?

Beans

Mplayer - how to "sharpen" vids like VLC?

Hi All,

I love using mplayer via cmd line (Ubuntu 9.10) for the keyboard shortcuts ease and etc etc. It's becoming a necessity because my old Dell Latitude laptop is rapidly losing the battle against processing power requirements of newer Ubuntu releases & higher resolution videos, etc.

Question:
    Any way to "sharpen" mplayer video quality via cmd line shortcut or config file preset(s)? I use the brightness/saturation etc keyboard shortcuts all the time, but don't know how to do a "sharpen."

VLC gui has a way of using sharpen, in addition to the various saturation, exposure, brightness adjustment capabilities, but I greatly prefer using mplayer via cmd line if possible. Also mplayer gamma? VLC also has gamma adjustments, although I don't know much how to use it or optimal settings right now.

Although I've done a bunch of reading here and there I still don't have a sound understanding of what I'm doing.

Help - Pointers?

Thanks,

- Dmitri

("I'm a Forum Newbie - Open Abuse Expected!")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mplayer - how to "sharpen" vids like VLC?

There is a filter
    -vf unsharpen with amount =1

Sorry don't get/understand the syntax from the docs.

Beans

Re: Mplayer - how to "sharpen" vids like VLC?

I'll have some time next week to read up more and try to learn some more basics. Trying to learn photo-editing also and still wrestling with the sharp/unsharp/maybe-sharp stuff.

Thanks