Thread: Custom url-handlers fails to register in browsers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Custom url-handlers fails to register in browsers

Operating System: Ubuntu 11.04 w/ Unity-2D

I had serveral custom url-handlers setup using gconftool-2 in my old Ubuntu 10.10 setup, but now after reinstalling and updating to Ubuntu 11.04 I can't get a single one to work with Chrome (11.0.696.57) nor other browsers like Midori.

The only solution was to switch to Firefox and setup them manually using network.protocol-handler*

It seems (on the surface) that Chrome insists on opening the links with xdg-open (and if I remember correctly in Ubuntu 10.10 Chrome said it opened the links using the apps set in gconf), but xdg-open only supports the most common http* and ftp* does it not? - Just learned that xdg-open is the default handler for all urls.

Does anyone have the same problem as I do? Any ideas?
    I've tried everything, including searching through Chrome's config files, reinstalling Chrome, and tested changing the paths to my apps - but without any luck.

Note that I'm talking about links in Google Chrome, Firefox on the other hand doesn't even check the url-handlers so I had to set them up manually using about:config > network.protocol-handler*

So they work in Firefox when added, but in no other browsers.

Google Chrome opens the links with xdg-open [url] as depicted in the attacheds screenshot, but this throws in error, found in .xsession-errors:

Code:
    gvfs-open: svtrip://example.com/: error opening location: The specified location is not supported
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elundmark; May 8th, 2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: misinformation

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Exclamation Re: Custom url-handlers fails to register in browsers

(bad-forum-policy) Bump!

I've realized that it's xdg-open (xdg-utils) that causes this problem, why won't it update to include my custom handlers?

I've tripple-checked the spelling and so forth. And even reinstalled xdg-utils.

Still, run from the terminal I get

Code:
    $ (xdg-open|gnome-open|gvfs-open) [customhandler://url]
    : error opening location: The specified location is not supported

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Custom url-handlers fails to register in browsers

try to find the .desktop file for the application that opens svtrip: links and add a MimeType key

see this bug for an example

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/788673