Thread: minimal Ubuntu

Beans

Question minimal Ubuntu

Hello,
    I've been trying to install a minimal Ubuntu using mini.iso and have a couple of questions to you, wise heads

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg gdm gnome-core
    gives me gnome without all "unnecessary" applications, but it also gives me things like evolution and a couple of others which I don't need/want. Is there a way to install the bare minimum of gnome, but without any of these applications?

Thanks for any insight.

Beans

Re: minimal Ubuntu

I'm actually surprised gnome-core depends on Evolution, etc. So technically speaking it's not really possible to install "your very own" minimal version as there will always be dependencies that depend on other dependencies... mmm.. am I right to assume that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Evolution is part of gnome, as are evince nautilus and gedit. Just as thunar is part of xfce.

If you want truly minimal, go with openbox or similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Yes , I learned this with my first Ubuntu installation . I began removing application I did not use such as Evolution and others .

I was going remove the Gnome system monitor and use Htop instead and I got a message that this would remove Gnome desktop.

I'm not using mini so now I leave well enough alone and remove the unused items from the main menu and my last three installations have been very stable.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tubunu View Post
    Hello,
    I've been trying to install a minimal Ubuntu using mini.iso and have a couple of questions to you, wise heads

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg gdm gnome-core
    gives me gnome without all "unnecessary" applications, but it also gives me things like evolution and a couple of others which I don't need/want. Is there a way to install the bare minimum of gnome, but without any of these applications?

Thanks for any insight.
    apt-get accepts the "--no-install-recommends" option, use it (at your own risk)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gatewayasteroid View Post
    apt-get accepts the "--no-install-recommends" option, use it (at your own risk)
    Evolution is a dependency of gnome-core, not just a recommended package, so that command won't help the OP.

You could install Xfce, which comes with very few additional applications (other than a file manager and a calendar), or Openbox, which is just a window manager without anything else (power management tools, theme settings controls, panels, desktop, etc.), though you can easily add those yourself. If you're interested in Openbox, have a look at the guide linked to in my signature (it is a little outdated, but should be of some use).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    Evolution is a dependency of gnome-core, not just a recommended package, so that command won't help the OP.

You could install Xfce, which comes with very few additional applications (other than a file manager and a calendar), or Openbox, which is just a window manager without anything else (power management tools, theme settings controls, panels, desktop, etc.), though you can easily add those yourself. If you're interested in Openbox, have a look at the guide linked to in my signature (it is a little outdated, but should be of some use).
    Ok sorry, I should have read better.
    Anyway I'm using openbox all the time, together with tint2, wbar, conky and pcmanfm.

Beans

Thank you everyone for great tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very good topic:

So if I like install bare xserver with with lxde desktop and network-manager

and list of apps:

pidgin, skype, firefox, document viewer, mc,

vlc for media player or something smaller

and codec (What is bare mininume for codecs in linux?/ mp3, avi, rmvb )

ffmpg and flash player?

Please wrote absolute minimum how install that:

1. Setup cable eth0 and connect to router

network settings All DHCP or static

gate: 192.168.0.1
    ip : 192.168.0.11
    netmask: 255.255.255.0

dns: 8.8.8.8

2. list here all:

sudo apt-get install ???

- sudo apt-get install xorg lxde

Anyone seen similar post on Ubuntu/Debian forums?

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Minimal-Ubuntu-Linux

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155961
    Last edited by Sylslay; May 12th, 2011 at 08:39 PM.