Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: acer_fancontrol fix (Ubuntu 11.04 +)

Beans

Re: acer_fancontrol fix (Ubuntu 11.04)

Wow, man, it looks like I'm now able to use that Ubuntu 11.04 properly. Tried to solve the problem with acerhdf, though it did not work out for me. Upgraded BIOS + the script you edited seem to work perfectly on my Acer 1810tz. Thanks a lot. Still going to check out if everything really is ok now, but so far so good. Even the CPU sensors somehow got working now.
    Last edited by ChronoMTB; August 17th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.

Beans

Does anyone know if this script works with 11.10?

Beans

This has worked for me on 11.10 with 1Gb RAM. Thanks alot, I was about to go insane with it dying all the time.

I got the message that there was "no such file or directory" too but I just ignored it and carried on and now the fan is running

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

lastest bios update solves fan issue script not required

Beans

THANKS Dushmi94,

This is the best how to on this subject, and I think I've seen them all.

I'm actually using Mint 9 on Acer 5315, 32 bit with upgrade to 2 GB ram.

My fan would come on maybe once in 15 or so start-ups. I didn't want to do the bios update for fear of dead computer, and thought if others got this to work, so will I.

This is a tough one for newbies like myself, as it is hard to "play" with the computer when it is constantly overheating.

If I may, and maybe you can add this to your post, as one user asked how do you select your memory configuration, you remove the "#" from those lines that apply to you when editing the acer_fancontrol file. Also I think it is necessary to have lm-sensors installed.

I also installed screenlets to watch the cpu temp. it's now maintaining about 38 C

VERY HAPPY Thanks again,

Rick

Beans

I installed the script, lm-sensors and screenlets on the Acer Aspire 5315-2822 laptop I'm working on with Ubuntu 11.10. The reported temperature was never steady and showed 3% when the unit was obviously getting warm to the touch, and would report 99% at times when internet browsing or using the cd. The fan never came on, and the laptop finally overheated and powered down.

Ubuntu was installed on an upgrade drive, and the original hard drive with Vista is untouched. I was thinking of re-installing the old hard drive and using the included Acer software to update the bios. Good or bad idea?

Beans

Deadfraggle,

Updating BIOS is not easier nor faster than this fix, and comes with the risk of killing your computer.

This the best way to fix the fan issue, and this is the best set of instructions to do so.

Read it over a couple of times, maybe keep this page open as you do it, copying the code as needed into terminal.

If something does go wrong while doing this, no big deal, if something goes wrong while up grading your BIOS, you have a paper weight, so take it from there.

Beans

If the laptop was mine, I may have risked updating the bios. The laptop also has an unrelated issue with choppy video playback and my friend did not seem too keen on using an MSN Messenger alternative, though he did like Ubuntu's interface. So I'm installing another OS.

Dang. Today's bios should have reset to factory options in case of emergency.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: acer_fancontrol fix (Ubuntu 11.04)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!This script is the only thing that worked!!
    One question:

From what i have seen in your code it can be used for any version of ubuntu. Am i right?
    @fox3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KidneyBean View Post
    I'm bumping this thread. No why? In the middle of attempting to post my first bump/reply, my Acer 5315 shut down on me. The stupid thing is as hot as an oven- the fan simply isn't kicking on (as usual).

Now I asked nicely for a reply yet nobody wanted to help. I posted an entire thread about this issue and yet nobody could answer me.

Right here in this thread the solution to my Acer shut down awaits- but yet nobody can help me out by explaining just why when I type into the terminal the install commands as listed above, that I'm told there is no such file or directory. I unpacked the download. I followed the instructions. PLEASE, what am I doing wrong???

My system is about to shut down again so I'll leave it at this.
    after reboot put laptop into suspend and then press anykey to restart,
    the problem wont be fixed but your fans should run until you can download the script and sort the problem, hope this helps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast