Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best solution to securely map a network drive over internet?

Beans

Re: What is the best solution to securely map a network drive over internet?

If you have some specific questions once you have done your research, come back and ask them in this thread and I'll do my best to help you, I have set up quite a few routed (and a few bridged) OpenVPN installations.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans

I tried first with OpenVPN but it all got messed up and the internet connection stopped working. It was very complicated to set up, at least for me. So I tried with PPTP and it worked without any troubleshooting what so ever so I guess I will stick with it until I fully understand how OpenVPN works. Thank you so much for all the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I installed a VPN on a virtual machine and use it for surfing the internet (I am in a country where the internet is filtered by the government). I admit, I also struggled setting up OpenVPN but once I succeeded it worked perfectly.

I prefer OpenVPN compared to PPTP as it allows to route traffic through port 443 which is also used for SSL connections. So any authority analysing the web trafic can actually not really see the difference between the VPN tunnel and a SSL encrypted website.

Instead of creating CA certificates, user certificates and keys for the encryption with the command line I hardly recommend to use "tinyca", a small tool allowing to create the relevant certificates rather easily and without typing too much. I still do not understand why most of the tutorials do not recommend "tinyca".

If you are happy with PPTP please keep on using it. It also supports Apple products like ipad, iphone etc. but it is also easier to be blocked by authorities censoring the internet.

Beans

When I learn how to get it working correctly I will go for OpenVPN instead, I just didn't have the time right now to learn all that was required.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarflax View Post
    When I learn how to get it working correctly I will go for OpenVPN instead, I just didn't have the time right now to learn all that was required.
    Do you have a test system you can experiment with, and do you have time to play with it? If you are having specific problems, I'd be happy to help.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans

That'd be much appreciated I will set up a virtual machine to experiment with as soon as I get time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12