Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity

Beans

Re: To many people bad mouthing Ubuntu and Unity

Ubuntu Team has went to far from the Main Stream Linux Community / User. Ubuntu wants to be the Windows, not Linux anymore. Ubuntu may be a dead distribution of Linux very soon. Death To Ubuntu, Long Live Linux!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
    Ubuntu Team has went to far from the Main Stream Linux Community / User. Ubuntu wants to be the Windows, not Linux anymore. Ubuntu may be a dead distribution of Linux very soon. Death To Ubuntu, Long Live Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Too many people badmouthing Ubuntu and Unity

Prior to using 11.04 the last time I ran linux on a desktop was about 10 years ago. Eventually I moved on to Mac os 9 then X. Linux was just not usable enough as a desktop. I hated windows, but there comes a time when you just need stuff to work.

On the recommendation of a friend of mine he suggested that I take a look at Ubuntu. I used 10.10 briefly before the upgrade to 11.04. I have to say that if the goal is to drive linux usage beyond hardcore coders and adventurous techies like me - unity is the way to go.

I can see where purists would not like the move to unity, but for linux to succeed desktop hardware and crucial software developers must feel its in their interest to really support linux beyond the usual "beta/labs/side project." Obviously, there has to be a bigger install base. Clearly the larger install base is not going to develop on linux without an easy to use hassle free desktop os. In that process you will have to give up some of the hardcore feel of linux.

All I know is that I am currently using unity for my desktop at my office and I have been pleasantly surprised with easy of use and compatibility. And I can see Ubuntu becoming my desktop os permanently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    ...I am the one who started this thread... "WOW!" That's the best way to describe Gnome 3. I am afraid that Canonical should have stuck with Gnome. I think that Unity sub-standard now that I have tried this desktop...In the past I liked Compiz but I had issues with it crashing. I had to go back to Metacity a couple of times. I found that Mutter is really solid compared to Compiz...Even though I like Gnome 3, I would like to see them make some changes...
    It's great to see that you kept an open mind and tried Gnome 3 as well as Unity. And it's admirable that after you changed your mind you were willing to share that with others. I agree with your assessment of Gnome 3 and Unity, but if you change your mind again I'll still salute you for being honest and inquisitive.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    After screwing up Unity by loading Gnome 3, I finial got both to run on the same machine. By switching back and forth between Unity and Gnome 3, I believe that Gnome wins out.
    How do you do that? Can you provide a link to a tutorial or something? I am hesitant to install from the gnome3 ppa because I heard that it breaks 11.04.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    How do you do that? Can you provide a link to a tutorial or something? I am hesitant to install from the gnome3 ppa because I heard that it breaks 11.04.
    When I tried it ubuntu did break.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity is horrible.
    Way more complicated than GNOME.
    We don't need integrated windows borders just to save a few pixels. Most of us have big screens by now.
    Please, people at Canonical, seriously consider moving back to GNOME. Or, at least, consider having a well-supported parallel GNOME distribution. ("Gubuntu"?)
    Otherwise, you will surely lose users over this.
    It's time for everyone to wake up to the New World Order.
    Read and listen to Dr. John Coleman, Daniel Estulin and Alex Jones.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I you can't stand criticism then it time for you to look elsewhere. I think Mark Shuttleworth/Canonical & the Development Team are playing shuttlecock the Ubuntu Community, getting our views before they change tack again. Have tried Natty (11.04) and beleive there is a lot of work to do before the general Ubuntu Community will support it. I think it's a lot to do with the recycle 6 months, come on give the Development Team time to iron out the bugs. I am aware this has been aired a lot but I think i's time Mark Shuttleworth/Canonical look at a 12 months release cycle with the LTS release as it is now at a 3 year cycle. Also release between the LTS release should be call Experimental. eg. Daffy Duck Experimental 12.04
    life at the top

Beans
    Distro

I, apparently, am in the minority here as I actually like Unity. Now, my vote may not count however as my experience is much of the same across all WMs and DEs as I would safely say 90% of my time is spent in a terminal.
    Gnome 3 with the new shell is also awesome, and if you ask me it is great to see all this innovation happening. What's even better is that the innovation is happening in the Linux community rather than elsewhere.

IMO, most of the critics simply hate change and I mean any kind of big change. The rest of the critics who don't hate change simply hate the direction in which ubuntu is going (which is targeting the mass market of clueless end-users). Which, is great. It's awesome to be promoting free software to the mass market. I do it everyday at my job (and I am in a very influential position to be able to promote Ubuntu and free software). At home I choose to contribute to Ubuntu, why? Because I actually (unlike most Linux users) want people (the mass market) to use Linux. I want Ubuntu to be successful. It makes my Job easier, and it gets people away from proprietary software. So, with that said, great job to everyone who helped get unity off the ground!

Now, Ubuntu is still Linux. Don't like Unity? Run another DE. Don't like that you can't do x feature/customize x in Ubuntu/unity? It's still Linux. There is nothing that you can't do in Ubuntu that couldn't be done in any other Linux distro. You know what I do? I open up a terminal and suddenly (with the exception of package manager and initscripts) distro doesn't matter. That's the beauty of Linux and free software! Don't complain because Unity wasn't made for you. Who cares? Unity wasn't made for experts, it was made for new users. Don't like it, then change it. You have that freedom to change it (which I fully take advantage of).

Bottom line, haters will be haters. Don't let them discourage you. I run Ubuntu, I am a developer, and I am a Linux expert and you know what? I don't give a crap about what other people may think about that We are not at war with each other (at least we shouldn't be).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Negro View Post
    Unity is horrible.
    Way more complicated than GNOME.
    We don't need integrated windows borders just to save a few pixels. Most of us have big screens by now.
    Please, people at Canonical, seriously consider moving back to GNOME. Or, at least, consider having a well-supported parallel GNOME distribution. ("Gubuntu"?)
    Otherwise, you will surely lose users over this.
    As someone who doesn't have a huge screen (and actually uses a netbook as my main machine) I fully love and appreciate the integrated window borders. At least Unity has a more comfortable feel for gnome users than the new gnome 3 and gnome-shell.

Besides, word on the street is Gnome 3 will be represented nicely in 11.10

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast