Thread: Unity doesn't autostart on login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unity doesn't autostart on login

I upgraded from 10.10, and there were no apparent problems during install. However, Unity doesn't start when I use the Ubuntu session from GDM. I have guake terminal installed, which starts correctly, so if I open that and run unity as a background process, everything works perfectly. I would like a solution other than adding it to my startup apps, because I still use GNOME every now and then.
    Don't use W3Schools as a resource! (Inconsequential foul language at the jump)
    Open Linux Forums (More foul language, but well worth it for the quality of support and good humor.)
    If you want to discuss W3Schools, please PM me instead of posting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity doesn't autostart on login

hm never tried guake, so maybe some usefull errors/conflicts with unity could be found into logs (xsession-errors & /var/log eg: system admin logviewer)

is your graphic driver well activated ? (system admin additional drivers)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

My graphics drivers are up to date and working just fine. OpenGL works perfectly in minecraft, as well as unity once I start it. The only problem is that unity doesn't start when I log in, I have to start it myself. I looked through various logs, it appears that unity simply never starts if I don't start it myself.
    Don't use W3Schools as a resource! (Inconsequential foul language at the jump)
    Open Linux Forums (More foul language, but well worth it for the quality of support and good humor.)
    If you want to discuss W3Schools, please PM me instead of posting.

Beans

ok, I made an update from the previous version of ubuntu through an edubuntu dvd install.
    It preserved all my settings...
    Hellas, even if unity does start from a terminal, it does not on a normal start, as it did not in the previous version. I just know about unity as on an other computer I did a full install, not an update, and there it does start by default.

So, I enhance this topic, how to determine unity to autostart on login, when it does not do this, but it does start well from a terminal session?

It's probable as easy as putting a program in Win's Start Menu or running something as a service ... only ... I just explained from which OS I migrate, so I'm still on the phase of "Wow, Ctrl+Alt+T?, Win+Space? and so..."

It's not the most burning question, but it look's nice and I try to convince my fellow teaching staff that Linux IS a mature option for a computer classroom, even for thus who only now painfully learned all that (Win based) ECDL stuff.

Thanks for any kind answer...

Beans

Talking Re: Unity doesn't autostart on login

I'm seeing a similar thing. I just installed 11.04 on an older HP zd7260us P4 laptop w/ NVIDIA chipset. I updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers, although the hardware driver tool says it's activated but not enabled. I am manually run "unity" or use "compiz --replace" to get the effects working.

Doing this seems to combine the existing window manager, plus I'm not seeing the icons on the left launcher (maybe a driver bug?)

I'm a little confused about what component gets things rolling and where to look to determine what starts Unity. (Also, what's the 'unity plugin' under the compiz manager? I installed that to help chase down my issues...)

Overall, everything seems to work. OpenGL apps appear to work fine. I'm just not getting all the effects or launcher when I login.

Thanks,
    -Sean

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Unity doesn't autostart on login

totally ugly....... compiz has VERY BAD integration with Unity. I tried to something with compiz and the whole unity was gone forever.

However, i have a workaround for it - it works, but it should not called a FIX - it's rather a hack.

From Unity launcher, launch up Startup Applications
    There, click the ADD button
    In Name: type anything you want
    In Command: type unity
    Then add this in.

Next time you start ubuntu, unity should start at login automatically. However, this should not be called a FIX. This is a bug and we have to solve it this way.

Really annoyed with the way unity has been so unstable with so many things.
    Last edited by syed.rakib.al.hasan; October 19th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I had the same problem. There was a "metacity --replace" in startup applications.