Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Home Network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu Home Network

I have two machines running ubuntu connected through a BiPAC 7401VGPR3 (Billion modem/router). One is a new notebook running Ubuntu 11.04 and the other desktop computer is running 10.04 connected to the printer and external hdd.

I can't find the right documentation to network them so that I can share HDD, printers, devices, etc. I can't get either computer to see each other via network searches.

Also may need to boot into Windows from time to time and access the network from there.

Sorry to bother with such a simple questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Home Network

Quote Originally Posted by Ashocka View Post
    I have two machines running ubuntu connected through a BiPAC 7401VGPR3 (Billion modem/router). One is a new notebook running Ubuntu 11.04 and the other desktop computer is running 10.04 connected to the printer and external hdd.

I can't find the right documentation to network them so that I can share HDD, printers, devices, etc. I can't get either computer to see each other via network searches.

Also may need to boot into Windows from time to time and access the network from there.

Sorry to bother with such a simple questions.
    On the desktop, go system > administration > printing

Click server and check/tick the box that says "Publish shared printers connected to this system" (and anything else you might want).

On your notebook, click your username (top right) and click system settings, then printing. Click server on the top bar and check/tick Show printers shared by other systems.

That should sort the printing.

Now, back on your desktop type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    When that's done go back to your laptop and click on the folder button on the left hand bar thingy. When it opens up, go to the top bar and click File > Connect to server.

In the Service type box, choose ssh from the dropdown menu. In the server box put user@ipaddress of the other computer eg ashocka@192.168.1.2

(if you don't know the ipaddress of your desktop, right click on the network applet and choose connection information.

Check/tick the add bookmark box and give your desktop a name eg "pc"

Then click connect. You will have to enter the your users password on the desktop (not your one from the notebook). You can choose to remember that password.

Now all you need to do to have access to your desktops entire file system from your notebook is click "pc" (or whatever you called it) in your file manager.

To connect from windows you need samba but I don't use it and I don't know how. There's plenty of instruction though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    On the desktop, go system > administration > printing

Click server and check/tick the box that says "Publish shared printers connected to this system" (and anything else you might want).

On your notebook, click your username (top right) and click system settings, then printing. Click server on the top bar and check/tick Show printers shared by other systems.

That should sort the printing.

Now, back on your desktop type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    When that's done go back to your laptop and click on the folder button on the left hand bar thingy. When it opens up, go to the top bar and click File > Connect to server.

In the Service type box, choose ssh from the dropdown menu. In the server box put user@ipaddress of the other computer eg ashocka@192.168.1.2

(if you don't know the ipaddress of your desktop, right click on the network applet and choose connection information.

Check/tick the add bookmark box and give your desktop a name eg "pc"

Then click connect. You will have to enter the your users password on the desktop (not your one from the notebook). You can choose to remember that password.

Now all you need to do to have access to your desktops entire file system from your notebook is click "pc" (or whatever you called it) in your file manager.

To connect from windows you need samba but I don't use it and I don't know how. There's plenty of instruction though.
    Thanks. Had done all the printer set up as you stated. Will follow through on the other part tomorrow (my wife is using the notebook now)

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I go. But I do want to be able to manage files; but I think I will be able to figure that out (hopefully)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you install openssh-server on the notebook, you can manage files and configs and do whatever you want on the notebook even when she's using it........

........ but that's for a different thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    If you install openssh-server on the notebook, you can manage files and configs and do whatever you want on the notebook even when she's using it........

........ but that's for a different thread
    Yeah, thanks I'll do that.

From your previous post everything seems to work well. The only problem I am encountering is logging in as my wife from the notebook to her PC account. It's not happening. Does her account need to be open on the PC to do this?

Reading up on networking to try and get my DIY standards up a bit, but I'm in my mid fifties and a chronic neck and spinal injury is making the circuits in the old grey matter less vivid than before

Thanks a lot for taking the time to point out the bleedingly obvious. It is really much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ashocka View Post

The only problem I am encountering is logging in as my wife from the notebook to her PC account. It's not happening. Does her account need to be open on the PC to do this?
    She shouldn't have to. What happens when you try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know this thread is already 3 weeks old, but I will try to help.

Ashocka, I think what you want to do is a file sharing, something similar to what Windows do. SSH will allow you to log to the other computer, but not to copy file from one computer to the other.

What you need is NFS (Network File System). This can allow you, for example, to see the file of your desktop computer into your wife notebook computer, in the file browser, like if they were on the notebook computer. If she save a new file in that folder, it will be save in the Desktop computer, saving disk space in the Notebook. This basically do the same as mounting a network drive in Windows.

If that's what you need, I can direct you for the installation.

Gael

NOTE: About your question for SSH-Server, if you installed the server in your wife's Notebook, you should be able to access your wife's Notebook using your desktop computer, when the Notebook is running. Your wife do not need to be logged on the Notebook. To log in the Notebook, you will have to type the following command on the desktop terminal:
    ssh <wife login name>@<notebook IP>
    You wife login name is the one she enter when she log in the computer. If the Notebook has been set to automatically log in, you should be able to see it in the top right corner of the screen. If you are not sure, you can open a terminal in the Notebook and type the command:
    whoami
    (in 1 word) That will tell you the login name. For the Notebook IP, you can go to the Internet Connection information on the Notebook, as suggested by nothingspecial on post #2.
    After you typed the ssh command, it will ask you for a password. The password is the one of your wife's notebook. You will not see the password when you will type it, not even stars (*). This is normal, it's a security feature. Of course, you can NOT log in the Notebook using the Desktop login name (if that login name has not been set in the Notebook). That would be a huge security hole...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gaellafond View Post
    SSH will allow you to log to the other computer, but not to copy file from one computer to the other.

What you need is NFS (Network File System). This can allow you, for example, to see the file of your desktop computer into your wife notebook computer, in the file browser, like if they were on the notebook computer.
    You can do all that with ssh. I'm talking about nautilus-connect-server withh ssh. You can drag and drop files from one machine to another. Click on media files and they will play. It mounts the other computers file system in ~/.gvfs.

No need for the cli whatsoever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi guys (and girls),

Thanks for the comments. Yes, basically I just want to share the mounted drives on the computers. I want to be able to see the files on my desktop from the notebook and copy them and I want to be able to set up the backup facility on the notebook so that I can do regular automated backups to the external HDD attached via USB to the desktop computer.

I'll take the leads and encouragements you have headed me in and look into them over the next few days and report back.

Really appreciate your help.

Geoff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've done some screenshots if it helps.

This first one is where you click file > connect to server after opening the file browser.

Screenshot.jpg

Then this is how you fill it in. Obviously you have to change it to your details.

Screenshot-rob-1.png

As soon as you click connect a new window will pop up that is the home folder of your other computer.

Screenshot-1.jpg

See how there is now a netbook bookmark in the left hand side pane. Whenever you want to connect you just click it.

You can copy files/folders between the windows. If you double click a file in the other computers window, it will open with the default app. So if you click a libre office document, it will open with libre office and you can edit it etc etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast