Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity launcher does not autohide

Beans

Angry Unity launcher does not autohide

Hi all,

Recently upgraded to 11.04, and I am happy with the intent but unhappy with the bugs.

I have a specific problem at the moment, the unity launcher will not auto-hide, which means I cannot access the left side of any application (such as the back button for instance). Does anyone know of a fix?

A restart fixes the problem, but If I don't want to do that then I have to set the auto-hide option in Compiz to never, so that application windows stop at the launcher, and don't dissapear underneath. (setting back to other auto-hide options doesn't work)

Beans

Re: Unity launcher does not autohide

I have the same thing happening every now and then. Logout/Login fixes it, but it's pretty annoying.

Beans

That's true, but when coupled with the bug that removes the top panel... grrrr

Beans

It seems like netbeans is a cause for this bug to happen. When netbeans opens an extra window, like the subversion commit window, or when you drag a panel, the unity launcher will appear and it won't disappear until you close netbeans.

/edit: hmm this doesn't happen all the time. Weird bugs...
    Last edited by RiotRick; May 3rd, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Beans

I can confirm that netbeans is causing the problem. But not when openeing a new window. It just happens sometimes while netbeans is running...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Are you sure it's not because you haven't got any applications open?

When there's nothing open the launcher remains stuck to the left of the screen. As soon as one or more applications are opened then it will hide itself. I've also noticed some processes keep it auto-hidden but I think that's a bug more than a feature.

Beans

No it's not the dodge feature.
    Every now and then the docks stays visible when an application is maximized, so covering part of the application.
    At least netbeans seems to cause this quite often. Maybe other java based apps as well?

For now I have configured the launcher to never hide. This way apps won't maximize over the launcher and it will never hide. That's a work-a-round for the moment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel84 View Post
    I can confirm that netbeans is causing the problem. But not when openeing a new window. It just happens sometimes while netbeans is running...
    Happens to me when I run IntelliJ, which is also a Java application. One minute I'm happily working away, the next some sort of random event causes the launch bar to appear and not auto-hide. Suspect that Java is the common thread here.

Beans

Same problem here with KeePass (which uses Mono).

Beans

Having the same problem. Logging out and back in is a brief fix that lasts for a random period of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast