Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gapless playback seems to have gone away

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Gapless playback seems to have gone away

I have the same issue (with mp3s and mp4s, using banshee 2.1.0) and it's been driving me crazy. Is there a bug report about this/is there hope that this will be fixed in 11.10?
    Last edited by hybridxdawn; June 11th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Foobar 2000 and wine

I have been experiencing the same issue in Natty in both Rhythmbox and Banshee. In fact, I haven't gotten crossfading to work since Rhythmbox in Intrepid. The only gapless playback that works consistently for me is Foobar2000 in Wine, but I can't get my Ipod to sync to it. Has anybody been able to do this? I'm looking for an all in one solution.

Beans

Not to be tardy to the party, but after looking around for a while, I started using Listen, which has been (so far) flawless w/ gapless playback of flac files. Overall, seems to be a decent program, and for what it's worth, I prefer it to banshee in terms of looks, and functionality.

Beans

Listen gives, at least on my Oneiric beta install, unfortunately no gapless what so ever. In Oneiric I can't seem to get gapless in Rhythmbox either, as the network buffer slider is gone. I really hope they will fix this before Oneiric hits stable, or at least before 12.04. A LTS release should have gapless playback fixed by default, considering the last one had (at least on my system).

Beans

Rant:

What is it with "gapless playback" and Ubuntu? Do all the package developers actually like to listen to music with silences inserted in it? Even my King of media players, VLC, cannot handle this most basic of requirements. The forum posts go back years and years, and the situation does not seem to improve

Rant over

The Good news is Aqualung.

My system: Natty 11.04 with 2.6.38-8-lowlatency kernel, jackd and associated firewire components from KXStudio, "Classic" login thus Gnome 2 desktop with compiz. Not exactly vanilla Ubuntu, but I doubt that anything there changes Aqualung's behaviour.

I have tested Western classical and live rock from WAV and flac, so far, as well as from CD. This is the Aqualung developer's claim:
    Pick a song that you know really well, something that's in your bones like Siberian Khatru. Grab it from CD using cdparanoia to have it as a WAV file. Now open your favourite wave editor and slice the file up into multiple consecutive sections. Be careful not to insert silence, delete samples or alter any sample data. Save the slices to separate files. Now convert the sample rate of some pieces to random values (the example program shipped with the libsamplerate library will let you do this in very good quality). Pick some pieces and convert them to Ogg Vorbis format. Pick some others and encode them to FLAC. Pick a few and convert them to MONO. Now open up the Playlist editor of the music player in question and add the files in order. Push play, and listen.
    Aqualung is a music player designed from the ground up to provide continuous, absolutely transparent, gap-free playback across a variety of input formats and a wide range of sample rates thereby allowing for enjoying quality music...

Link. (Click on Read More >> at the end of the first paragraph.)
    It has passed my test (exception: playback from CD. The gapless-tracks thing is fine but there are dropouts that may or may not be removed by the configuration.).

My personal requirement is for a player with a simple interface (I'm using an audio player, not surfing the net or pretending to be using a car stereo or reading a magazine) and simple file-handling (drag and drop) capabilities (Library functions may be there but should be optional) that preferably outputs direct to jackd (for my firewire interface: KXStudio will route it from alsa or pulse, who wants to send their sound round the houses!)

There are so many players. I will check out some more and contribute the results (sometime...) but, for today's exploration, the results are:

VLC: Fail
    SMplayer: Fail
    Quad Libet: unsure. Yesterday I thought there were minute silences, today it seems to be broken. Probably not going to bother to fix it, as I now have a working player...
    Aqualung: Pass

Beans

audacity: Pass? it was just a quick test, but it didn't seem to miss a beat in the Mahler. The position slider got very confused, though. Imperfect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12