Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to edit/add Menu items of Maverick Meerkat Unity Desktop??

Beans

Unhappy How to edit/add Menu items of Maverick Meerkat Unity Desktop??

Hi
    Few days ago, I installed ubuntu notebook Maverick Meerkat with Unity Desktop on my Fujitsu A530 Laptop.
    My question is that:

Q. How can I edit/add Main Menu items for this Unity Desktop? I would highly appreciate your help.

Additional Details:

I edited the Menu Item from 'System>Preference>Main Menu' but change is not reflected in Unity Desktop Item and Default Menu List of Application is displayed.
    Last edited by fslurrehman; November 2nd, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Info of System that I use

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How to edit/add Menu items of Maverick Meerkat Unity Desktop??

I have the same problem. Moreover, my CrossOver Office installation add new top-level menu with applications, that are invisible in Unity (I have to start them form terminal-command line). I was not able to find a single "configure" option for Unity interface.

¿Any help?
    Have a nice day,
    Romano --- Linux user since 1989: first kernel 0.99pl8, Slackware distro (on 40 floppies! )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

When you say "Main Menu" - do you mean: (1) the items that are displayed when you press the Ubuntu icon on the top-left of the screen; or, (2) the items in the pane on the left of the screen?

I can help you with (2) (- find and run the application you need, then right-click the icon in the left-pane and select "Keep in Launcher"). Still looking for (1).

Eli

Beans
    Distro

It was (2). I did discover the existance of (1) with your post .
    Thanks, great.

The other problem I think is a bug/feature, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/635223
    Have a nice day,
    Romano --- Linux user since 1989: first kernel 0.99pl8, Slackware distro (on 40 floppies! )

Beans

Unhappy Re: How to edit/add Menu items of Maverick Meerkat Unity Desktop??

Thanks r_mano and slidingClouds

About (2): When I right click matlab software icon on launcher, it shows 'com-mathworks-util-PostVMlnit' and does not shows 'Keep in Launcher'.

Except matlab program I have successfully docked Terminal and System Monitor programs to the launcher.

About (1): I can not edit predefined main page with 6 icons of Web, Music, Photos & Videos, Games, Email & Chat, Office, File & Folders, Get New Apps.

Also when I click from 'Applications (from Launcher)>System>Main Men', I find my installed program of scilab under Science Menu whereas scilab program is there in All Applications list (when checked from launcher).

I have done extensive search but only intro of unity desktop is given every where. I haven't found any help/documentation, or customization guide.

The bottom line is that I cannot find any way to re organize or customize the grouping of my apps in launcher and main page of Unity Desktop of Maverick Meerkat. I need some help in this.

Beans
    Distro

Yep, I have the same problem with some application. For example, digiKam does not show the "keep in launcher" entry in launcher.

Puzzled.
    Have a nice day,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is a bug about the inconsistent appearance of the 'keep in launcher' option.

Beans

Alright boys and girls, I spent some time tinkering with this tonight and found a solution using user preferences. I am considering writing a zenity front-end/(python/bash) backend to automate user input, bridging or to replacing "alacarte/Main Menu" functionalities to make this easier for the average user.

Here is what I have found so far ->
    1) User customization is based in ~/.gconf/desktop/unity/launcher/favorites
    2) Each application in your favorites has a directory within the favorites folder, and is indexed/referenced using the %gconf.xml
    3) If you have already created a custom folder/application using alacarte/Main Menu, you should already have a file created under /usr/share/applications you can reference in the next step. Otherwise, make one using alacarte/Main Menu
    4) cp -pr ~/.gconf/desktop/unity/launcher/favorites/app-firefox.desktop ~/.gconf/desktop/unity/launcher/favorites/app-[custom_name].desktop
    6) vi ~/.gconf/desktop/unity/launcher/favorites/app-[custom_name].desktop/%gconf.xml
    7) insert a line like so (inside the <gconf></gconf>):
    <entry name="desktop_file" type="string">
    <stringvalue>/usr/share/applications/[custom_name].desktop</stringvalue>
    </entry>
    8) Logout and log back in, or restart gdm ('sudo restart gdm')

NOTE: I assume similar things can be done to add programs into "Applications", but I expect it will live under /usr/share and effect ALL users...

Have fun! I will post back here when/if I create the GUI front-end to handle these steps, and provide a method to retrieve the .deb package
    Last edited by LinkMJB; December 4th, 2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: oops!

Beans

I finished the frontend to handle menu creation, I named the tool "prixfixe" as a pun on "alacarte." This is meant only as a TEMPORARY solution for this problem until freedesktop.org gets their act together and provides a solution that works with Ubuntu + Unity.

While writing it I discovered a lot of broken functionality in gksudo (multiple command parsing, and random X display disconnects), and zenity (--question returns 0 ALWAYS, and does not return y/n).

Here is the URL for what I built if you are interested:
    prixfixe

Install it using 'sudo dpkg -i prixfixe.deb'

Enjoy!

Beans

Hey LinkMJB, thanks for working on this! Couple questions: after installing prixfixe, how do we launch it and how do we use it? Can you give an example of adding a menu item to Unity's launcher thingy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast