Thread: Unity - Built for Speed?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unity - Built for Speed?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone wants to give me their honest opinion if Unity is built for speed or more for looks? I switched away from Gnome a little while ago since my computer run a lot better with Xubuntu, but am interested in Unity, but don't have a very powerful computer, nor a lot of disk space spare to just install it to really try it.

Can I expect Unity to be as fast as XFCE or pretty close to it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity - Built for Speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissd View Post
    Can I expect Unity to be as fast as XFCE or pretty close to it?
    I think that would be an unfair expectation. Unity (and Gnome Shell for that matter) is a mainstream user-interface for modern hardware whereas XFCE/Xubuntu is intended for older machines. I expect Unity 2D would be more comparable to XFCE but you'd have to try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

In my opinion. Not yet.

If speed is critical for you, I'd wait. Unity is new and although I have no performance problems, I do have the impression that it's resource hungry. I'm sure that over the next development/release iterations, things will improve. Both performance and tweaking wise.

But for now, this is a first release and it comes with the bumps in the road.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for the replies. I'll try it on a faster machine if I get the opportunity.