Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VMWare Server 2 on 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans

Re: VMWare Server 2 on 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hiya

I managed to get VMWare Server 2 Installed on my copy of Ubuntu 11.04.
    I ran into a load of problems with it not working with Firefox 4 and I don't exactly get on with the web interface.

How would I go about uninstalling this from my system ?

Also is is possible to install VM Server 1.10 on Ubuntu 11.04 ?

Thanks very much
    Gav

Beans

Hi,

This isn't clear. What's the command to apply the patch file and where exactly?

Beans

OK, I figured it out:

put vmware-server-2.0.2-203138-update.patch in the raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-bb26dce directory

then run

vmware-server-2.0.x-kernel-2.6.3x-install.sh
    Last edited by jarednevans; May 26th, 2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: correcting wrong information

Beans

Last edited by jarednevans; May 26th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Beans

Anyone have any ideas on how to uninstall from my system ?

After downgrading to firefox 3 with foxtester it won't launch any of the console screens. Reports that it has taken too long for the request hence VM Server 2 is unusable for me.

Is there another method I can try or a fix for this ?

Either that or I wish to uninstall and get VM Server 1 installed and working as that at least comes with a integrated management console.

Thanks
    Gav

Beans

I've not been able to get the "true" VMware console to the virtual machines working in the latest Ubuntu/Firefox release.

But, there's an alternative to the VMware console: You can use vinagre to VNC into the virtual machines after they are started. You'll need to add two lines at the end of VM's .vmx file then restart the VM:

RemoteDisplay.vnc.enabled = "TRUE"
    RemoteDisplay.vnc.port = "5900"

However, I need the "true" VMware console to the VM I'm running due to a video conferencing software using a webcam, and the VNC approach doesn't refresh fast enough for a smooth video experience.

I've removed VMware Server 2 from my Ubuntu desktop and replaced it with VMware Player which allows you to create and run a VM. This is acceptable for me since I only need to run one VM at a time.

Hope this will help out!

Beans

How did you uninstall VM Ware server 2?

Sorry I've only started using ubuntu, and not sure how to uninstall after using that script.

Any help will be much appreciated

Gav

Beans

run /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall with super-user privs.

Beans

Hi I'm new here. And I have a problem installing VMWare 2.0.1 on my Ubuntu 11.04 The problem is this step:

What is the directory location of C header files that match the performance
    kernel? [/ usr / src / linux / include]

The path "/ usr / src / linux / include" is not an existing directory.

I installed this:
    $ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname-r`

I also tried what it says sirusdv, but it gives this error:

There is no file containing the VMware Server Indicated happened!

What I can do?
    Last edited by yandrak08; June 1st, 2011 at 12:23 PM.

Beans

VMWare Server 2 on 10.04

Edit:
    Disregard this post, I will start my own thread for it. Sorry for unnecessarily bumping it.

Hi,
    I have been trying to install VMware server for a few days now, following various guides and using different patching solutions. But no matter what I try, I always get some error message at the end. Right now I get the error message described below.

I'm using the latest Ubuntu server LTS, 10.04.2, with Kernel 2.6.32-31-generic on x86_64. Trying to install VMWare server 2.0.2-203138.

Code:
    You have VMware Server archive:
            VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.x86_64.tar.gz
    Checking for needed packages on Ubuntu
    You do have the linux-headers-2.6.32-31-generic package...
    You do have the build-essential package...
    You do have the patch package...
    Extracting the contents of VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.x86_64.tar.gz
    Found .tar file for vmci module
    Found .tar file for vmnet module
    Found .tar file for vmmon module
    Found .tar file for vsock module
    Extracting .tar files in order to apply the patch...
    Untarring /home/vm/vmware_server_package//vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmci.tar
    Untarring /home/vm/vmware_server_package//vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet.tar
    Untarring /home/vm/vmware_server_package//vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmon.tar
    Untarring /home/vm/vmware_server_package//vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vsock.tar
    Testing patch...
    Creating some simlinks for the newer kernels...
    ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-31-generic/include/linux/autoconf.h': File exists
    ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-31-generic/include/linux/utsrelease.h': File exists
    Applying patch...
    Preparing new tar file for vmci module
    Preparing new tar file for vmnet module
    Preparing new tar file for vmmon module
    Preparing new tar file for vsock module
    Checking that the compiling will succeed...
    Trying to compile vmci module to see if it works
    Performing make in /home/vm/vmware_server_package//vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmci-only
    Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    Trying to compile vmnet module to see if it works
    Performing make in /home/vm/vmware_server_package//vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only
    Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/driver.c:121: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/driver.c:121: warning: type defaults to âintâ in declaration of âDEFINE_SEMAPHOREâ
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/driver.c:121: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/filter.c:82: warning: type defaults to âintâ in declaration of âDEFINE_SEMAPHOREâ
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/filter.c:82: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/filter.c: In function âVNetFilter_HandleUserCallâ:
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/filter.c:1089: error: âfilterIoctlSemâ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/filter.c:1089: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/filter.c:1089: error: for each function it appears in.)
    make[2]: *** [/home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only/filter.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/vm/vmware_server_package/vmware-server-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmnet-only] Error 2
    make: *** [vmnet.ko] Error 2
    There is a problem compiling the vmnet module after it was patched. :(
    I'm using the same script and patch as this guy did:

Quote Originally Posted by karhukuoma View Post
    I'm using raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-f271f27.tar.gz with updated vmware-server-2.0.2-203138-update.patch from this thread. What could I've missed?

Update
    ##########
    This has been fixed like this:
    Code:
    sudo su -
    goto /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-9-generic/include/linux
    cat ../generated/utsrelease.h >> version.h
    ln -s ../generated/autoconf.h
    kudos to thingy@vmware-communities
    Also, a lot of guides tell me to use files in the /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-31-generic/generated/ directory but I don't have that directory at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by kgb_hc; June 2nd, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast