Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old workspace switcher on unity?

Beans

Old workspace switcher on unity?

Hi,

I've been using Natty(unity as desktop) since the beta now and it is really growing on me except for the workspaces. Is there a way to see what workspace I am on?

*When typing I usually switch with ctrl-alt-"left/right/up/down" but after some work i don't always know what desktop i am one so switching is usually trial and error jumping from desktop to desktop or pressing super-s to get an overview. Seeing which desktop I'm on (maybe in the unity workspace button) would help with that.
    *When just using the mouse I used to click on the workspace launcher and I would be on the desktop of my choice in one click but now I need to click on the switcher, identify where I am and where I need to go and it breaks the flow of fast switching, its no advantage anymore compared to just opening all programs on 1 workspace and using super-w

I guess there are upcoming changes on the switcher as unity is still in its infancy so is there a way to put the old switcher in the top panel again?

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Old workspace switcher on unity?

Personally, the first thing I do to Ubuntu (even Gnome) is set up shortcut keys to switch to a particular desktop. I use CTRL+F1 through CTRL+F4, but whatever works.

I also use Super+S to open my switcher and then just mouse to the one I want.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Thanks, thats sounds like a simple and effective way so I think for the time being I'll try that! It's probably best combined with a role for each desktop so I just have to hit the shortcut that I know holds the program I want. I usually started out in one of the middle workspaces and placed less used windows on the spaces left and right.

Still, if anyone knows for a way to visualize my workspaces and contained windows I'd be happy deluxe

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With "Indicator-Workspaces" from this guide you can at least quickly see where you are, but if you want to use it for the actual switching you would have to do two clicks, instead of one like before:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/t...cator-applets/

Personally, I use Compiz' "Desktop Wall" to switch workspaces by using Edge+Click. The built-in bindings are quite sufficient for me because my workspace setup is just 2x2, but you can also set up custom commands in "Commands" and assign them to the corners.

These are the commands I was using just until recently, obviously you need the package "wmctrl" for them, my screen resolution is 1152x864, you will get the point:
    Code:
    [commands]
    as_command3 = wmctrl -o 0,0
    as_command4 = wmctrl -o 1152,0
    as_command5 = wmctrl -o 0,864
    as_command6 = wmctrl -o 1152,864
    as_run_command3_button = <LeftEdge><TopEdge>Button1
    as_run_command4_button = <RightEdge>Button1
    as_run_command5_button = <BottomEdge><BottomLeftEdge>Button1
    as_run_command6_button = <BottomRightEdge>Button1

Beans

Superb, I think I'll combine the indicator with shortcuts to each workspace.
    Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

@Krytarik:
    I was using the edge+click bindings in Desktop Wall, but since Natty, it just doesn't work anymore... How did you get that to work in Natty?
    Last edited by frankob; May 4th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Omnia sunt communia.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by frankob View Post
    @Krytarik:
    I was using the edge+click bindings in Desktop Wall, but since Natty, it just doesn't work anymore... How did you get that to work in Natty?
    I'm aware that there is a bug in Natty regarding the edge bindings, if used without a button, but Edge+Click should work:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/754948

Since I'm not running Natty, maybe beejee can help.

Beans
    Distro

In my case, it's exactly the opposite. :-/ No button edge flipping works just fine, but edge+click doesn't work... I like to use it with a click, to prevent accidental flipping.

Actually, no binding involving edge+click in Compiz doesn't work at all on my Natty installation... while just-edge works fine in every plugin.

But we are going off-topic now...
    Omnia sunt communia.

Beans
    Distro

I just found another bug report that applies to your issue:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/761616

Beans
    Distro

Thank you! I have subrscribed to that.
    I guess all the bugs are because they gave us an unstable version of Compiz in Natty... A bad move, if you ask me.
    Omnia sunt communia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast