Thread: Video card & Audio card not working after migrating from Windows XP to Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Video card & Audio card not working after migrating from Windows XP to Ubuntu 11.04

Dear all,

I'm a newbie to Ubuntu.

I just uninstalled Windows XP from my 10yrs old desktop and installed Ubuntu 11.04 . After the installation, the video and audio cards are not working.

The video card and audio card of my desktop are built into the motherboard. From my experience in installing Windows XP on this machine, after installation, I would need to download and install the audio and video drivers from the motherboard's manufacturer website. However, as the manufacturer only provides those drivers for Windows OSs (in zip & exe file formats), I have no idea how I could install the video and audio drivers for my machine under Ubuntu.

The motherboard is named "PS85-BL" manufactured by "Grandmars". Since it's a very old computer, I doubt they would give support to this problem. As such, I am turning to this forum to see if any Ubuntu guru would have a solution.

Below are the hardware specification of my machine (extracted from 'lshw' output):

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    RAM: 1280Mb
    VGA compatible controller: Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Multimedia audio controller: Intel Multimedia audio controller

Many Many thanks in advance!!

Best,

Carlos

Beans
    Distro

Re: Video card & Audio card not working after migrating from Windows XP to Ubuntu 11.

OK... here is an update

I generated the lshw output (in html format), which says the following devices are "unclaimed nodes", whilst all the other devices are "claimed"

Device 1
    ========
    id: generic
    description: System peripheral
    product: 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 6
    bus info: pci@0000:00:06.0
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    configuration: latency = 0
    resources: memory : fecf0000-fecf0fff

Device 2
    ========
    id: serial
    description: SMBus
    product: 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 1f.3
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    configuration: latency = 0
    resources: ioport : 500(size=32)

I have been googling for 2 days for their drivers.

For "82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface", I only managed to find driver installation files for windows but not for Linux/Ubuntu. Here is a link to one of the Windows installation file I found http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/item_257440.html

For the "82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller", I found this site (http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/I2C_I801.html) which seems to provide code for installing the driver in Linux, but I have no idea how I should compile/install it.

Any help/suggestion would be much appreciated!!

Carlos
    Last edited by kwanylongy; May 5th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.

Beans

Re: Video card & Audio card not working after migrating from Windows XP to Ubuntu 11.

Install -->this<-- driver and reboot your machine,

Tell me about result

Source: Ubuntu Manuals

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Evdalo View Post
    Install -->this<-- driver and reboot your machine,

Tell me about result

Source: Ubuntu Manuals
    I did that, but it didn't work. The 2 devices above are still "unclaimed"

The FreeBSD-manpages.deb file you recommended was of version 7.2-1, I had even updated the installation to the latest 8.1-1 version (using Update Manager), but still, it did not work.

Why would installing FreeBSD manpages help... may I please ask? (since I am curious and would like to learn as much as I can about computers)

Many many many THANKS for your help!!!

Carlos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Use the alsa-info-script to provide detailed information.
    Run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
    Choose the upload option and provide a link for the output.
    [Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"]

Beans
    Distro

The ALSA info of my computer is here

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=71...12c3dbb6d81b0b

Many Many Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Get to know your mixers. Start with this:
    Alsamixer
    Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Code:
     alsamixer
    Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
    Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
    Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.

Make sure your PCM and Master levels are up.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so much lidex!!! I got the sound card working!

I followed your instruction (with alsamixer), which I do have to confess I wasn't quite sure what I was doing, but suddenly the sound card started working!!

One further question, how do I check whether certain hardware is functioning other than 'lshw'?

With sound restored, I would think this would imply the "unclaimed" sound card node in the lshw output would become "claimed", yet it isn't.

I need to know this for my graphics card (which is also declared 'unclaimed' by lshw, [see above]), since I did try to install a driver that I found for it (i915Graphics.tar, from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=8203&lang=zht), but not sure if the installed driver was appropriate or if the installation was successful.

Thank you so much for your help! I wish one day could be as good and help out others in the forum!

Carlos
    Last edited by kwanylongy; May 9th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Did you try this version:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display

Beans
    Distro

I figured out what the problem was - It's Unity

My intel graphic card is not good enough for Unity, but Ubuntu installs Unity by default if the graphics card is an intel one.

I already have it configured to GNOME (ubuntu classic), and it works perfectly since.

Thanks again for your help, lidex and everyone!