Thread: 10.10 can nvidia, ati and intel opengl drivers co-exist ?

Beans

10.10 can nvidia, ati and intel opengl drivers co-exist ?

I am using DRBL and have clients with intel, ati and nvidia cards capable of doing opengl and composite desktops.

Unfortunately when installing ati or nvidia proprietary drivers they overwrite key libraries /usr/~~/libgl* that prevent most (if not all) opengl acceleration for the other drivers.

Currently I can only have a single glx driver enabled (it seems).

Ideally I would be able to install both ati & nvidia drivers and have all 3 (intel comes preinstalled) working side by side, so if I swapped cards or booted a different client the drivers would be available.

Im currently using 10.10, but if this has been solved in later releases Id be happy to swap.

edit: I just did some more research, could this be a possible solution ?

backup libgl* from a fresh install, copy to /intel
    install ati drivers
    install nvidia drivers like this:
    Code:
    cd /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.06/kernel/
    make
    make install

cd /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.06/
    ./nvidia-installer  --no-kernel-module --accept-license --no-backup  --no-x-check --no-questions --ui=none --no-x-check --no-distro-scripts --utility-prefix=/nvidia --installer-prefix=/nvidia --opengl-prefix=/nvidia --x-prefix=/nvidia/X11R6
    then do a big linux no no and use: LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Code:
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /nvidia/lib EXECUTABLE
    Id use bash then launch xinit or launch xinit directly. To late to try now (dont want to break the media pc before going to bed) but I will try tomorrow and report back. If anyone has some suggestions Im keen to try those as well.
    Last edited by membuntu; May 2nd, 2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: more info found

Beans

Re: 10.10 can nvidia, ati and intel opengl drivers co-exist ?

well I had partial success, my idea in the above post did not work but I had some success adding the paths to /etc/ld.so.conf.

I can redirect the nvidia drivers to /usr/nvidia. Then add /usr/nvidia/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and have the nvidia drivers work (after running ldconfig).

This worked on machine A with a nvidia card.

ati on the other hand offers no redirection (that I can find), I have tried manually extracting the debs files:
    dpkg-deb -c /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.801-0ubuntu1~xup~maverick_i386.deb

and placing the contents of package:/usr/lib into /usr/ati/lib. I then added /usr/ati/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf but it still fails to load the glx libs, it actually seems to be trying to load nvidia libs still, though the xorg.conf is generated by the ati tool:
    aticonfig --initial -f --resolution=0,1024x768

This failed on Machine B with a ati card.

output of attempted x start:

Code:
    X.Org X Server 1.9.0
    Release Date: 2010-08-20
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server i686 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux drbl1101 2.6.35-28-generic-pae #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 18 20:43:15 UTC 2011 i686
    Kernel command line: initrd=initrd-pxe.img devfs=nomount drblthincli=off selinux=0 edd=on    BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz-pxe 
    Build Date: 09 January 2011  12:14:58PM
    xorg-server 2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    Current version of pixman: 0.18.4
          Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
          to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue May  3 20:27:09 2011
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    dlopen: libnvidia-tls.so.270.41.06: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
    (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
    Is it possible to install ati drivers into a different location without it modifying /usr/lib symlinks ?
    Last edited by membuntu; May 3rd, 2011 at 01:44 PM.