Thread: Ubuntu doesnt start after USB installation

Beans

Ubuntu doesnt start after USB installation

hello,
    this is the first time for me to use Linux. I just installed Ubuntu on my netbook, using a bootable USB created on a Windows-PC (according to the manual). Starting and installing Ubuntu from the USB was no problem, but after the installation finished, ubuntu doesnt start from the hard drive. There is just a blinking "_" at the upper left corner, furthermore nothing happens.
    I am pretty sure I choosed the hard drive for the installation of ubuntu, all the other data on the hard disc was deleted. But it seems Ubuntu was installed on the USB only, because i can start Ununtu only, when I choose the USB drive in the Boot-Menu. How Can I fix this problem?

Thank you very much for your help! My first impression of Ubuntu is very good!

Greetings,
    Richter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu doesnt start after USB installation

Sounds to me as if Ubuntu installed the boot loader Grub to the USB instead of your local hard disk. Seems to be a commonon problem and I had it myself when installing from USB.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1745247

It can be fixed from a liveCD/USB, just follow the instructions in the link.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu doesnt start after USB installation

after following the instructions, i got the grub-rescue> problem. So I just installed Ubuntu again, this time first booting from USB, after that clicking on "install ubuntu" (not directly in the menu on "Install Ubuntu on a hard disc"). Now it works.

Thank you for your help!