Thread: Install Puppy to USB without CD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Install Puppy to USB without CD

Hi, all! In one of my threads, I asked you all for Linux distros meant to be booted without installing. Well, one suggested Puppy. While I still don't have my computer to install Ubuntu in, I want to try Puppy on a nearby computer cafe. While I can burn ISOs to CDs, I want to use a bootable USB. But in Puppy's website, it says I can make the USB using the CD. But I don't want to waste the only CD-R that I have. Is there any way I can make a bootable USB without burning a CD first, using Windows? Thanks, all!

Beans
    Distro

Install Puppy to USB without CD

Hi, all! In one of my threads, I asked you all for Linux distros meant to be booted without installing. Well, one suggested Puppy. While I still don't have my computer to install Ubuntu in, I want to try Puppy on a nearby computer cafe. While I can burn ISOs to CDs, I want to use a bootable USB. But in Puppy's website, it says I can make the USB using the CD. But I don't want to waste the only CD-R that I have. Is there any way I can make a bootable USB without burning a CD first, using Windows? Thanks, all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Install Puppy to USB without CD

Beans
    Distro

Ooops...

I'm really sorry for the duplicate thread post. My browser does that (UCWEB for J2ME), not me. Sorry again! By the way, the "First cup of Ubuntu" changed to "5 cups of Ubuntu". What does that mean? And what's a cup of Ubuntu? At least, I know that posts are beans. But cups of Ubuntu... no idea.
    Last edited by tarshoduze; May 2nd, 2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: It was "spilled the beans", but now "5 cups of Ubuntu". Still don't understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi, Here is where you can read about...
    "What's the deal with coffee cups/beans and the funny titles?"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ankspo71 View Post
    Hi, Here is where you can read about...
    "What's the deal with coffee cups/beans and the funny titles?"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48
    Whoah, thanks! I'll read it. Those always made me smile... But one thing's the truth: I'm an "Ubuntu addict and loving it!" Really! If I just have my own computer, which I'll have next year, it'll be booting Ubuntu, for sure! For now, I boot it from a CD in a computer cafe (it can cheat the timer, you know? But no, I don't.). Thanks!

try qemupuppy.

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/

put it on a usb stick and boot it in a virtual emv.
    Noli illegitimi carborundum

Beans

I don't know if it works but you can try running puppy linux virtually with virtualbox.

Beans

Have you heard of "unetbootin"?

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

from the website...

"Introduction
    UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. It runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. You can either let UNetbootin download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list."

I've used it a dozen times. Works great and is easy to use. Puppy IS included in the list.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by deeaycee; May 2nd, 2011 at 09:25 PM.