Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I click "yes" to upgrade to 11.04?

Beans

Should I click "yes" to upgrade to 11.04?

Hi,
    I'm running mythbuntu 10.10. I got a prompt to upgrade Ubuntu to 11.04. Now this is not "mythbuntu", but "ubuntu" that is being prompted for upgrade. How do I go about upgrading mythtv from 0.23, to 0.24 included in mythbuntu 11.04? Is it safe to do outside of doing a fresh install?

Thanks
    David J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Should I click "yes" to upgrade to 11.04?

first download and run this
    http://www.mythbuntu.org/files/mythbuntu-repos.deb... more infor here, http://www.mythbuntu.org/repos

then do a regular update so that .24 is installed with its fixes.

then upgrade to 11.04
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did this and it seems to have broken my system - if I run mythbackend --version I get "mythbackend: error while loading shared libraries: libmythtv-0.23.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" - any ideas how I can revert to 0.23?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you have a broken install, I would do as the post above says and install the autobuilds. This will get you the most stable up-to-date myth packages, they supersede the ones from ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Installing that is what broke it =8/ This is my problem - I installed the deb from there, told it to update to 0.24 and now it's screwed. I'd be happy to reinstall mythtv and go back to version 0.23 but removing mythtv-backend and installing it again gives me the same problem

Beans
    Distro

I've run the control center and enabled the package repos up to 0.23.1, I noticed that mythtv-database was still at 0.24 and so have removed and installed that - it's at 0.23 now and dpkg -l myth* shows everything at 0.23 again but running mythbackend --version still give the error "mythbackend: error while loading shared libraries: libmythtv-0.23.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
    - help.....
    Is there a way I can reinstall mythtv on my mybuntu box (preferably via the command line as the server is headless) completely without having to grab the box out of it's cupboard, connect it up to a monitor and keyboard and reinstall the whole OS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Halfling View Post
    Installing that is what broke it =8/ This is my problem - I installed the deb from there, told it to update to 0.24 and now it's screwed. I'd be happy to reinstall mythtv and go back to version 0.23 but removing mythtv-backend and installing it again gives me the same problem
    Please elaborate, do you mean you installed 11.04 first, or did you do as the previous poster suggested, to get your system in a screwed state? That is, did you upgrade to mythtv .24 first, then 11.04, or the other way around?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If for some reason your libraries are busted after the upgrade, just re-enable auto-builds and re-update those myth* packages from autobuilds.

Beans

My advice: based on the number of screwups referrred to in this forum, do NOT upgrade to 11.04.

BUT do upgrade to 0.24-fixes using mythbuntu-repos.

Beans

I plan to upgrade to mythtv 0.24 via the repos link in this thread, thanks.
    But I'll hold off on the 11.04 upgrade.

But I have one more question. In the release notes for .24, it says

"As the full release notes say, all users upgrading from a previous version of MythTV to 0.24 are required to rescan for audio devices on their frontends (in the audio settings menu) after upgrading due to the rewritten audio framework which can conflict with legacy settings".

Does it mean audio settings in mythtv? I see where the audio setting are, under settings/general, but I don't see a "rescan" button. Does the action of going to these menus initiate a rescan? Just checking this out beforehand. Maybe the new .24 version has a rescan option?

Thanks
    David J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast