Thread: .iso games not working

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

.iso games not working

A friend of mine gave me a few .iso games that will work just from the computer...not using a cd drive. I figured out how to do it in windows, it was pretty easy, but in ubuntu its not as easy. I got some tips on how to mount...and after some experimenting i got it to work. So i installed Morrowind thru Wine. And it starts the opening screen just fine (where you can pick "Play" "Options" etc.) But when i click play it gives me an error that it cant find a cd drive on my computer...because i use a netbook. And im really confused why this is happening since i have it mounted. Any help would be appreciated. Also i am trying to use PlayOnLinux, since ive heard it is good at auto fixing problems that youd have to manually fix thru Wine, and id like to be able to run Morrowind thru that if possible.

Thanks very much
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Emachines em250 / 160GB Hard Drive / 1GB RAM / Intel Atom N270 / Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 / Ubuntu 10.10

Toshiba Satellite C855D/ 60GB SSD & 500GB HDD/ 8GB RAM / AMD A10-4600M /
    Radeon HD 7660G / Ubuntu MATE 16.04 & Win 10

Beans

Re: .iso games not working

You may have to get an no-cd patch. Note: it legal only if you have(when i mean have; brought it from a vendor; got it cheap on ebay; "borrow" from a friend indefinably, not pirated and your game is a legal copy) the game

Beans

Yes, the problem is the software that checks if you have a legitimate copy of the game. Legally you have to purchase the game (I am not sure if "borrow" counts here). Then it should be legal to install the no-cd crack, but it is not always legal ... big difference when you come from the FOSS world.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cblnchat View Post
    A friend of mine gave me a few .iso games that will work just from the computer...not using a cd drive. I figured out how to do it in windows, it was pretty easy, but in ubuntu its not as easy.
    AcetoneISO
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    Thanks i like that. Its like power iso. But the games still wont work. I got FFVII installed along with Morrowind...but it wont work. It tells me again that i need to insert the game discs.
    Do i need to get a "no-cd crack" like the other ppl that posted on here said?

Thanks for your guys' help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Emachines em250 / 160GB Hard Drive / 1GB RAM / Intel Atom N270 / Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 / Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

yep, you need the no-cd patch
    http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/game...fantasy7.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZS2WeQS5sk

this is a generic guide to basically all no-cd patch. I recommend rename the original exe rather than overidding it

Edit: you have the game right?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone View Post
    yep, you need the no-cd patch
    http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/game...fantasy7.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZS2WeQS5sk

this is a generic guide to basically all no-cd patch. I recommend rename the original exe rather than overidding it

Edit: you have the game right?
    Thanks

and i have the .iso version of the game. An old friend of mine gave me them. They worked just fine on windows. Is the .iso version a bad version?

Beans

iso image is just a format for an cd image. People tend to copy cd into iso to keep the orginal intergrety. I had to copy iso all the time to install games on my netbook. If you do have a problem with the iso image then the person copy it from a bad-cd, problem with the copying process, or the person messed with it on purpose.